What's new

UPDATE Counter Marked Brass Coin or Token

Lt1stone

Full Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2008
Messages
157
Reaction score
30
Golden Thread
0
Location
Newkirk Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70, Gray Ghosts, Pro-Find 25
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This brass coin or token is counter marked W.H.K. and appears to have an eagle on one side. I cleaned it a little with soapy water and a nylon bristle brush. I haven't been able to find anything else about it. Could it be a store card or token?
 

Attachments

  • coin cth4 obv.webp
    coin cth4 obv.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 388
  • coin cth4 rev.webp
    coin cth4 rev.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 375
  • coin cth4 obv.webp
    coin cth4 obv.webp
    20.5 KB · Views: 347
  • coin cth4 rev.webp
    coin cth4 rev.webp
    17.8 KB · Views: 345
Re: Counter Marked Brass Coin or Token

It seems to me I have seen those initials in small letters on tokens before?? :icon_scratch:
 
Upvote 0
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
Re: Counter Marked Brass Coin or Token

auprospector44 said:
Found this token (item has expired, but scroll down the page for a description)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOKEN-1807-GIII-HALFPENNY-WHK-COUNTERMARK-SCARCE-/200634448830

and reference to a W.H.K. counter-strike on australian tokens on the page on this site:
http://books.google.com/books?id=MM...ved=0CFUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=w.h.k. token&f=fa
apparently it a type of australian surcharge token??

Thank You auprospector44!
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
The coin I dug at CTH 4 appears to be Australian from the 1850's. Surcharged by W H Kernot in Chillwell, Victoria and one similar with one of his counter stamps in the Museum Victoria.
 
Upvote 0
I guess that explains why I had seen one before!!Neat find!!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Re: Counter Marked Brass Coin or Token

auprospector44 said:
Found this token (item has expired, but scroll down the page for a description)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOKEN-1807-GIII-HALFPENNY-WHK-COUNTERMARK-SCARCE-/200634448830

and reference to a W.H.K. counter-strike on australian tokens on the page on this site:
http://books.google.com/books?id=MM...ved=0CFUQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=w.h.k. token&f=fa

apparently it a type of australian surcharge token??
Im surprised its not on Brunk's list. http://www.exonumia.com/art/cmd.htm
I guess he doesnt do Australian. :dontknow: Good ID.
 
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Upvote 0
WHK (Kernot) was a chemist at Chillwell, Geeland. He had a shop at La Trobe Terrace, Chillwell (at the foot of Noble St.), a suburb of Geeland. He not only filled perscriptions, he 'specialized' in horse and cattle medicines.
Don.....
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom