port ewen ace
Silver Member
- Joined
- Dec 16, 2012
- Messages
- 4,066
- Reaction score
- 7,788
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- port ewen ny
- Detector(s) used
- AT-PRO & Equinox800
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
Upvote
24

I thought cleaning with baking soda was not good for the coin? I thought it immediately reduced the value. But I'm fairly new to coin collecting![]()

Unless it's a really rare and valuable coin, I find the general consensus on lightly cleaning DUG coins is that it's ok. I'm sure this cent looks much better now than it did before.
Can we see a pic of the cent before it was cleaned?
my post from today--"-former farm field....". shows the '65 IH after a water rinse only---it was living in sand for a while. green is good---no further cleaning--I love her acne and a bit woozy from seeing the sun. after the baking soda massage I spotted what appears to be a raised die crack and die chip on top left of shield. add a fancy 5 as a little bonus. View attachment 1359420View attachment 1359421
