What's new

"Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

enamel7

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 16, 2005
Messages
6,415
Reaction score
2,551
Golden Thread
0
Location
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

Hi all!
Had an interesting day.
Picked up my 4 boxes of halves and only had the following.
2) 40%
1987d.
2008p
And a 2000 that appears to be a rotated die. I know, magician's coin right? I've found them before, only I can't see a seam on this one. Looked it over with the loupe several times. It even sounds like a solid coin. I will have to get a scale and weigh it.
Anyhoo, I went to a different bank to dump the leftovers and decided to check a few banks for halves. Only found clad at all of the banks I have been to in the past. Then I discovered a bank well hidden in this little village type area. The new thing in my area is building homes and condos and then adding shops, theaters, etc. Like a neighborhood with all the shops for convenience. Something told me to see if there were any banks. Didn't see any going in, but spotted a hidden one on the way out.
Went in and asked for halves and the teller asked how many I wanted. I said all she had. She told me she had $230 in the vault. now I was shocked to hear this due to the other banks in the area saying someone had gotten there just ahead of me. Told the teller I would take them all and she couldn't believe it. I explained I am a collector. She gave me her card and said she would hold all halves for me. The $230 gave up:
1961d Ben
1964(3)
1966(2)
1967(13)
1968d(3)
1969d(6)
Proofs:
1978s clad
1976s clad
1976s silver

2005p.
I love it when a plan comes together.
HH
Gilbert
 

Attachments

  • Picture 045.webp
    Picture 045.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 329
  • Picture 046.webp
    Picture 046.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 328
Upvote 0
Re: Thursday Hunt

What do you think the % is on the rotation?, If it is real rotation I wouldn't mind seeing a pic. I always look for the rotated dies and have yet to find anything over 5-10% in any denomination. Nice finds :thumbsup:
 
Re: Thursday Hunt

It looks to be about 185 degrees. I'll have to scan it and flip it. I'll post it tomorrow.
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt

Update on the rotated die. Bought a scale today and weighed the coin. The half was the correct weight. I will scan it and post later. :icon_thumright:
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

Could not find a seam and it is correct weight. It also is a casino half. It also sounds normal. If someone has any other ideas please let me know.

HH
Gilbert
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

I almost forgot about this outstanding find. In my little guide "Strike it Rich with Pocket Change" by Allen and Porter, it states that a Kennedy Halve rotated reverse commands the following premiums:
25-50 Degree rotation $60, 50-90 Degree $150, and 90-180 degree at $450. Again they show a list of known rotations which doesn't show a 2000, so yours will command a much higher premium. Sweet! :headbang:
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

i'll take it to my club meeting next month and see what the experts think. :sign13:
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

In your photo / scan, Did you flip that coin bottom over or side by side?

Mojo
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

bottom over Mojo. I've been around long enough to know what I am seeing. ::)
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

enamel7 said:
bottom over Mojo. I've been around long enough to know what I am seeing. ::)

I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just wanted to know how far off it was.
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

coinmojo said:
enamel7 said:
bottom over Mojo. I've been around long enough to know what I am seeing. ::)

I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just wanted to know how far off it was.
I'm sorry. I sometimes forget that it is hard to detect tone of voice when it is typed. ::)
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

enamel7 said:
coinmojo said:
enamel7 said:
bottom over Mojo. I've been around long enough to know what I am seeing. ::)

I wasn't questioning your knowledge, just wanted to know how far off it was.
I'm sorry. I sometimes forget that it is hard to detect tone of voice when it is typed. ::)

Not a problem, I am interested in what you got there. I haven't really paid much attention to the rotated die thing. I primarily edge search. I gotta hand it to ya that's something 99.9 % of the population would miss. I have yet to see one. And I think it's the first I've seen here.

Thanks for the photo's.

Mojo
 
Re: "Update Rotated die" Thursday Hunt "Photos Added"

Cool Find, I have one that is a 1971D that is about 30-40% rotated. (I also had to check and make sure it wasn't a magicians coin and it weighed proper as well)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom