What's new

Updated Buckle Pictures!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,021
Reaction score
28,183
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm hoping there's a buckle expert out there that can tell me what the markings are on this "1871" buckle. If you could also tell me whether it was a suspender buckle or knee buckle or what? :icon_scratch:

Thanks,
Dave

PS. I found it in the field next to the farm house.

Update

Just did the hot peroxide bath on the buckle to remove the last of the dirt with good results. You can now clearly see the word "PARIS" and the makers mark G & C. :icon_thumright:
 

Attachments

  • July 28 001.webp
    July 28 001.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 398
  • July 28 002.webp
    July 28 002.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 400
  • Clean July 28.webp
    Clean July 28.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 396
  • July 28 001.webp
    July 28 001.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 388
  • July 28 002.webp
    July 28 002.webp
    55.2 KB · Views: 369
  • Clean July 28.webp
    Clean July 28.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 368
  • Buckle - Updated Pics 002.webp
    Buckle - Updated Pics 002.webp
    71.1 KB · Views: 432
  • Buckle - Updated Pics 001.webp
    Buckle - Updated Pics 001.webp
    90.6 KB · Views: 518
Re: Buckle

Your guesses could be right or it could be a knapsack buckle. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
 
Upvote 0
Re: Buckle

For decades, we relic-diggers thought those buckles were a suspenders-adjuster, but they've turned out to be a paints-waist adjuster strap's buckle. Most of them seem to have been made in France. Many have a year-date mark, ranging from the 1850s through 1870s.

Edit: I see I made a late-night typo error. What I meant was pants-waist ...not paints-waist.
 
Upvote 0

Attachments

  • buckle CJC.webp
    buckle CJC.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 588
  • buckle CJC.webp
    buckle CJC.webp
    37.4 KB · Views: 493
Upvote 0
Re: Buckle

The top says G & ___ CIE

I think something like this:
 

Attachments

  • buckle solide Cie.webp
    buckle solide Cie.webp
    22.8 KB · Views: 465
Upvote 0
Re: Buckle

Broken knee said:
Your guesses could be right or it could be a knapsack buckle. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Thanks,
Dave


TheCannonballGuy said:
For decades, we relic-diggers thought those buckles were a suspenders-adjuster, but they've turned out to be a paints-waist adjuster strap's buckle. Most of them seem to have been made in France. Many have a year-date mark, ranging from the 1850s through 1870s.

Thanks very much for all your information TheCannonballGuy! :icon_thumright:
Dave


bigcypresshunter said:

I read all your posted threads here bigcypresshunter and they were very helpful! :o
Thanks very much for your help with this! :icon_thumright:
Dave
 
Upvote 0
I've never seen that type of buckle with that amount of marking...it's a neat find!
 
Upvote 0
romeo-1 said:
I've never seen that type of buckle with that amount of marking...it's a neat find!

Thanks romeo-1! :icon_thumright:
I love finding stuff with printing or patent dates on them, makes them that much more interesting! ;D

Dave
 
Upvote 0
These buckles are neat and interesting little finds. The ID above is correct on them. Pants adjusters. I have two in my collection, one of which is dated in the 1850s. Also Paris-made, and stamped "SOLIDE."

Cheers,


Buck
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
These buckles are neat and interesting little finds. The ID above is correct on them. Pants adjusters. I have two in my collection, one of which is dated in the 1850s. Also Paris-made, and stamped "SOLIDE."

Cheers,


Buck

:thumbsup:X2
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom