What's new

Updated:Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX~1845 Large Cent Found

SilverFox167

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been waiting and hoping to get permission to hunt an old fort site that dates back to around 1835.

I kept waiting for the opportunity to see some farmer out there to get permission since there is no address and the fort no longer exists or has any visible signs or remains of the actual location.

Then it happened this last Friday I saw four people at the site and I drove up to obtain permission. The funny thing is... I happen to know one of the farmers personally and have known him for over 9 years and he said it would be ok to hunt.

FYI, this site was previously excavated by the Plainfield Historical Society and they have some of the finds on display. I have seen two of the large cents that were pulled out of the ground of the fort and are now on display at the museum.

One of the farmers stated that when the excavators were digging that he saw a large cent laying on the dirt and just put it in his pocket and later on in life had lost it.

Ok, I did not find any coins yet, but I did find a lot of relics since I was hunting in All Metals Mode just to see what I would turn up, since there are no pulltabs... actually I found a total of two the whole time I was there.

Hopefully you will be able to help me identify a couple of these finds that have me stumped.

Here is the first picture it looks like an Iron Cowboy Leg W/Boot( I know it is probably something esle, but that it what it looksl like to me):

DSCF0008.webp

I spoke with one other person about this find and he said that maybe it was used as a wooden door slide lock. It is about 6-7 inches long. What do you think?:

Door Bar Slide Lock.webp

This one looks like it could have been used as a weapon of some sort. Not sure it is about 4" long.

Indian Warhammer.webp

I found this old button that is completely flat and smooth on the other side. The writing on the button says "Treble Gilt Colour". I could not find the exact button that looked like mine, but found similar and it is very old. I think because the eyelet is missing it may only be worth about $1.00.

Treble Gilt Colour Button.webp

Here is a picture of all my finds, a lot of broken shards of glass plates and broken mason jar lid liners.

DSCF0011.webp

Wanted to also share a previous hunt that resulted in a different kind of treasure.
I am an animal and nature lover and whipped out my camera to take a few shots of a Red Fox that crossed my path. Hope you enjoy them I have posted the 3 best pictures.

Fox Trot
Fox Trot.webp

Peek-A-Boo
Peeking Fox.webp

Whos stalking Who???
Fox Is Gonna Get Ya.webp

"I'll Be Back" to hunt the site with another friend. I will take another picture of the site to show you what it actually looks like.

Enjoy and thanks for looking.
Rob
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Bull,
Great finds. On the first photograph; looks to me like a hammer for a flint rifle. Does it have a hole on the backside? Second photograph looks more like a belt buckle. Great photograph of the fox..last pix looks like he is checking you out more than you taking his photograph. The look in the eyes kind-of-gives you the willies.. :o

Keep us posted on other finds from the fort..

49er
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Nice relics and hope you get some coins. Incredible pics of the red fox!!!
HH
Mark G
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Bull, I agree with 49er, that sure looks like it came off a rifle. Great pics and love the fox!

I have hunted a War of 1812 site, here in Ohio for a few years and have found over a hundred musket balls and lots of buttons. I also found my oldest coin at this site. It's a 1717 Munday Thursday coin from England. I also found a 2 bit piece at this site and also dug up a bayonet at this site.

I'm sure you will be finding good items at your site also. Can't wait to see what else you going to find.

HH, Ringfinder
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

49er and Ringfinder,
I thought the same thing about the iron object being a flint lock and coming off an old gun. It just seems to big, but maybe I am wrong. I don't not see a hole anywhere, but maybe the rust and kerosion are hiding one.
Here are a few more close up pics that may help with id'ing the object.

DSCF0003.webp

DSCF0002.webp

DSCF0001.webp
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Gee wiz-looks like a dang nice spot you have there!
Hope they left some coins there for ya!

Have fun,
Salvager
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Gee whiz that bloody fox wasn't shy. Awesome pics mate, well done ;)
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

that fox came right up yo you didnt he?! all of the ones i have encountered around here dont want much to do with people and are really spooky. nice finds by the way!
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Nice bit of history there, BD. Looks like you go a productive site.

HH
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Nice finds Bull...and a word of caution....any time you see "wild" animals that don't seem to be afraid you, take a good look at them before they get too close, rabid animals usually walk like they are drunk and look wet(from sweating alot I guess). I encountered a raccoon in my yard once, that allowed me to get quite close to it in broad daylight. Something didn't look quite right, so I backed way real quick. Someone told me later I was lucky it didn't attack me. Not saying your fox was anything more than curious..but better safe than sorry. Good luck.
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Yarrum said:
Gee whiz that bloody fox wasn't shy. Awesome pics mate, well done ;)

Yeah that usually means rabies my friend, foxes are super shy. Be careful if you go out there again. Great finds though, that hammer is awesome!
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Great stuff! Looks like a good place to hunt many more times.

Is your second item about the right size to hold a big box of matches?

494407.f.jpg


DCMatt
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

DCMatt said:
Great stuff! Looks like a good place to hunt many more times.

Is your second item about the right size to hold a big box of matches?

494407.f.jpg


DCMatt

First of all thanks for all the wonderful replies from everyone.

DCMatt you may be on the right trail. At first I thought the box might have been to big, but then I see you have two pictures and one of them has a smaller matchbox. If it were going to be either one of them it would be the smaller match box, but even then the small one looks to big to slide a box of matches in. I did notice that there is a big encrusted number 29 at the wider base of the object. Still really not sure what it is.
Thanks!

Oh... The Fox, I think he was just old. He was trying to run from me and yes I know it was crazy but I was stalking him. There was no foam at the mouth and he wasn't walbly legged. I appreciate your concern and if it were the other way around I would not have been pursuing him at all and would have called animal control to take care of the situation.
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Great looking fox. Use to have den in my back yard, every year the would come back and have pups. Then progress started, the local university bought the property and now there are about 25 building and each one can house about 100 or so students.
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

That is some great pics of the fox. I saw a bald eagle the other day and I wished that I had my camera with me.
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

nice finds and some great pictures. Its amazing you were able to get so close to the fox. Most of the foxes I have seen were just a blur running away
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

from what i see you have mostly modern farm metal(the last 100 years to present)
some items are prolly much older
focus on areas of debris (pottery,china,iron nails,lead,brass,copper)
run your dics between iron and pulltab and dig it all
even the iron tic
drop the disc when you tic iron and dig it
its large enough to tick off then dig it
then build a picture in your head were the items are being found
also look for items that have been plowed away from the main area
walk the area away from the main debris area's
some cool stuff to found that way
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

great finds

hh twister
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

cool finds!
That fox was way too friendly. They usually run at the sight of humans, if you ever see them at all.
Good hunting
Ken
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom