What's new

Updated:Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX~1845 Large Cent Found

SilverFox167

Hero Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2005
Messages
920
Reaction score
13
Golden Thread
0
Location
Scottsdale, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been waiting and hoping to get permission to hunt an old fort site that dates back to around 1835.

I kept waiting for the opportunity to see some farmer out there to get permission since there is no address and the fort no longer exists or has any visible signs or remains of the actual location.

Then it happened this last Friday I saw four people at the site and I drove up to obtain permission. The funny thing is... I happen to know one of the farmers personally and have known him for over 9 years and he said it would be ok to hunt.

FYI, this site was previously excavated by the Plainfield Historical Society and they have some of the finds on display. I have seen two of the large cents that were pulled out of the ground of the fort and are now on display at the museum.

One of the farmers stated that when the excavators were digging that he saw a large cent laying on the dirt and just put it in his pocket and later on in life had lost it.

Ok, I did not find any coins yet, but I did find a lot of relics since I was hunting in All Metals Mode just to see what I would turn up, since there are no pulltabs... actually I found a total of two the whole time I was there.

Hopefully you will be able to help me identify a couple of these finds that have me stumped.

Here is the first picture it looks like an Iron Cowboy Leg W/Boot( I know it is probably something esle, but that it what it looksl like to me):

DSCF0008.webp

I spoke with one other person about this find and he said that maybe it was used as a wooden door slide lock. It is about 6-7 inches long. What do you think?:

Door Bar Slide Lock.webp

This one looks like it could have been used as a weapon of some sort. Not sure it is about 4" long.

Indian Warhammer.webp

I found this old button that is completely flat and smooth on the other side. The writing on the button says "Treble Gilt Colour". I could not find the exact button that looked like mine, but found similar and it is very old. I think because the eyelet is missing it may only be worth about $1.00.

Treble Gilt Colour Button.webp

Here is a picture of all my finds, a lot of broken shards of glass plates and broken mason jar lid liners.

DSCF0011.webp

Wanted to also share a previous hunt that resulted in a different kind of treasure.
I am an animal and nature lover and whipped out my camera to take a few shots of a Red Fox that crossed my path. Hope you enjoy them I have posted the 3 best pictures.

Fox Trot
Fox Trot.webp

Peek-A-Boo
Peeking Fox.webp

Whos stalking Who???
Fox Is Gonna Get Ya.webp

"I'll Be Back" to hunt the site with another friend. I will take another picture of the site to show you what it actually looks like.

Enjoy and thanks for looking.
Rob
 
Upvote 0
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Bull Durham,

neat post; thanks for posting.
Like the photos.

Nice group of artifacts, hope when you
go back you find a bunch more. Keep us
posted.

Sounds like a good old area.
This area have anything to do with the
Reverend ?

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Very cool finds, just goes to show that you should keep it all in the pouch until you get home and have a chance to really look at it! Must have been a bit of a thrill with the fox too!
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

EDDEKALB said:
from what i see you have mostly modern farm metal(the last 100 years to present)
some items are prolly much older
focus on areas of debris (pottery,china,iron nails,lead,brass,copper)
run your dics between iron and pulltab and dig it all
even the iron tic
drop the disc when you tic iron and dig it
its large enough to tick off then dig it
then build a picture in your head were the items are being found
also look for items that have been plowed away from the main area
walk the area away from the main debris area's
some cool stuff to found that way

i like this advise
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

jorge del norte said:
EDDEKALB said:
from what i see you have mostly modern farm metal(the last 100 years to present)
some items are prolly much older
focus on areas of debris (pottery,china,iron nails,lead,brass,copper)
run your dics between iron and pulltab and dig it all
even the iron tic
drop the disc when you tic iron and dig it
its large enough to tick off then dig it
then build a picture in your head were the items are being found
also look for items that have been plowed away from the main area
walk the area away from the main debris area's
some cool stuff to found that way

i like this advise

I actually was already doing a lot of what Dekalb was stating and had another hunter with me who also recommended to hunt the trails of glass and follow the plow lines on down. I was hunting in All Metal Mode with no discrimination and was digging most everything with the exception of the small square nails. I almost learned to distinguish them with the broken tones that they gave off. Although some of them fooled me I dug most everything anyway.
Thanks again everyone for your comments.
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

great pics !!! fox are sooooooo cool.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Neat relics Bull. I think the heavy, rectangular object does look like a mount used inside a door to bar the door. Sweet fox pics! We eagerly await your future posts from this site.

HH
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Looks like a black powder (cap & ball?) rifle hammer in your hand.

Maybe CharlieP or Monty can tell ya...
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Bull Durham said:
jorge del norte said:
EDDEKALB said:
from what i see you have mostly modern farm metal(the last 100 years to present)
some items are prolly much older
focus on areas of debris (pottery,china,iron nails,lead,brass,copper)
run your dics between iron and pulltab and dig it all
even the iron tic
drop the disc when you tic iron and dig it
its large enough to tick off then dig it
then build a picture in your head were the items are being found
also look for items that have been plowed away from the main area
walk the area away from the main debris area's
some cool stuff to found that way

i like this advise

I actually was already doing a lot of what Dekalb was stating and had another hunter with me who also recommended to hunt the trails of glass and follow the plow lines on down. I was hunting in All Metal Mode with no discrimination and was digging most everything with the exception of the small square nails. I almost learned to distinguish them with the broken tones that they gave off. Although some of them fooled me I dug most everything anyway.
Thanks again everyone for your comments.
so how did bob do?
 
Re: Hunted Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1835 ~ Pics Of FOX

Even old foxes can move along pretty quick.I bet that was a Mama fox trying to lure you away from her den and kits.Nothin like that good ole motherly love!!
 
Updated: Old Fort ~ Dates Back Around 1830's ~ Pics Of FOX Found 1845 Large Cent

Hello Everyone,
Well here is my update on this 0ld 1800'S Fort. This past Friday May 4th, 2007 will mark my fourth trip out there. I had a gut feeling there were more coins.

I found my FIRST EVER 1845 Braided Hair Large Cent. This is also my oldest coin to date. It took me a day to clean it and she turned out pretty good. Here are the before and afters below:

1845 Braided Hair Large Cent.webp

1845 BraidedHair LargeCent.webp

I have also found a nice selection of buttons and bullets. I took more pictures to show the general area where the fort stood. One of the farmers I know, drove up and started talking to me to give me more clues as to where the fort was actually located and what they did for excavating it. His clues sure paid off. He also let us know that one of his friends had previously detected the place as well and had found some coins years ago.

Buttons Front and Back.webp

Bullets.webp

Fort Pictures.webp

DSCF0018.webp

Here is a link as to what my buddy Beau found when we hunted yesterday May 5th, 2007.
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,86581.0.html
We knew he had a coin, but didn't know what until he got home and cleaned it.

I expect we will find more. We are waiting for a good rain day, because we both know that the ground will come alive to reveal more treasures.

Enjoy and HH!!! ;D
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0017.webp
    DSCF0017.webp
    16.5 KB · Views: 232

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom