US$ 100 1928 with words Redeemable iin Gold

Mulu113

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a 7 which has circular writing talks about the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago instead of a gold seal that says Gold Certificate. It has been in circulation, but there are no tears in this bill? Would this be worth anything more than the $100.00 it states.

I have a bunch of old bills and coins that I inherited and am just trying to figure what the value of them might be. What would be my best source? I have heard about a red book, blue book and then something about a greysheet.

Appreciate any help you can give.

LJ

Attachments

• new doc_1 (2).jpg
    new doc_1 (2).jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 187

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mulu,
Welcome to Treasure Net !
You have a Federal Reserve Note Series of 1928. The signatures should be Woods and Mellon. The "7" represents the bank district number (Chicago). 733,300 of these bills were issued. The 2008 Red Book (retail value) lists your bill as worth $175 in VF-20. The same bill but with a letter in lieu of a number is called the Series of '1928-A'
Don.......

OP
OP
M

Mulu113

Dec 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recommendation

Thank you Don. I appreciate your help. Which books do you recommend for someone who is just learning about this? I have more coins than currency.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"The Official Red Book--A guide Book of United States Paper Money" by Arthur L. and Ira S. Friedberg.
Full color and plenty of explanations. It goes into the history of paper money, how to collect and grading=--among other topics.
Don.......

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mackaydon, although I dont have any interest in this particular post, but I always enjoy your comments on coins and anything else. You bring a lot of expertise to this site. I dont know how you manage to reply to all the questions that are asked here, but your doing a great job at it!!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
maipenrai,
Many thanks; having been a stamp and coin collector for over 50 years has helped; add that I truly enjoy the research challenge then a Win-Win result; we each learn something.
All the best,
Don.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions