apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone buy coins from the US Mint? I know many of us have found several good keepers while CRH from "mint" only distribution (silver "s" mintmark and comms), but I was curious if anyone buys directly?

I just purchased (should I cower?) 2 of the 2010 liberty halve dollars (proofs)--well, at least they are on order, and a set of the 2010 proofs. Yeah, I know I paid a fortune, but they are for my grand child. I am thinking--need advice here--if I should purchase any of the new gold coins offered from the Mint?

I have heard, I think on this forum, of one gentlemen finding a gold coin while CRH. If we could all be so fortunate!

HSH,
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

MauserMan

Jun 7, 2010
MA
Detector(s) used
BH Tiv
I tend to see that the U.S. mint is a bit overpriced with their premiums... It's probably a lot cheaper at local coin shops. However, I'm intrigued by their forthcoming 5 oz. America the Beautiful coins. Something about BIG silver. But, I don't think I have the money to pay a 50% premium on it. Speaking of big coins, I think the Australian mint made 2, 5, and even 10 oz. coins.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I have a subscription for the silver proof set and recently picked up a gold proof spouse coin. The gold is nice and I got it before the price increase. A little pricey but ice looking.

Maine_Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I rely on subscriptions to the Mint for my annual purchases. I always get an uncirculated set, clad proof set, and silver proof set. I also have standing subscriptions for the ASE proofs even though none were minted last year and this year is still in question. (Just got an update this morning: They are processing my subscription for ASE proofs.) Some of the premiums are pricey when it comes to rolls and bags. Proofs I find competitively priced. I have yet to find a coin dealer selling the current Mint products cheaper than the mint.

Keep in mind that bullion products must be purchased through a dealer. Someone mentioned the new hockey-puck America The Beautiful coin. If the mint produces a proof (no decision has been made), then the proof can be purchased directly. The uncirculated version will only be available through the bullion dealer network.

My biggest complaint about the Mint products is the shipping. They do not offer signature delivery. They will leave it in your box or on your front step. Not ideal when you have a $50 product, but unacceptable when you have a $1300 gold proof sitting on your step.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 3 sets of the America The Beautiful 5-coin silver proof sets. I like the coin and it was more an investment in collector value as compared to silver value. I gave each of my sons a set. Heck, if silver gets to $39 I'll be even.
btw, the Perth mint in Australia makes 1 kilo coins also. I have a 2007 Year of the Pig coin silver proof from there. The silver troy ounces is about 32.15 oz.

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
The only place I will buy new coins is from the US Mint. I have a subscription for Silver Eagle Proofs and Uncirculated Silver Eagles. I was just informed they will be sending me the new 2010 Silver Eagle Proof that was approved. Always keep the original package (box and proof of Authenticity.)

Hi Ho Silver!

Jan 31, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Diver_Down said:
I rely on subscriptions to the Mint for my annual purchases. I always get an uncirculated set, clad proof set, and silver proof set. I also have standing subscriptions for the ASE proofs even though none were minted last year and this year is still in question. (Just got an update this morning: They are processing my subscription for ASE proofs.) Some of the premiums are pricey when it comes to rolls and bags. Proofs I find competitively priced. I have yet to find a coin dealer selling the current Mint products cheaper than the mint.

Keep in mind that bullion products must be purchased through a dealer. Someone mentioned the new hockey-puck America The Beautiful coin. If the mint produces a proof (no decision has been made), then the proof can be purchased directly. The uncirculated version will only be available through the bullion dealer networ

My biggest complaint about the Mint products is the shipping. They do not offer signature delivery. They will leave it in your box or on your front step. Not ideal when you have a $50 product, but unacceptable when you have a $1300 gold proof sitting on your step.

Actually as of last year they started requiring a signature for anything $300.00 or more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions