AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
White's XLT, MXT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???
Has anyone every tried to use their gold dredge to locate arrowheads in creeks in the lower 48? I'm leaving AK this summer and would love to still use my dredge to possibly find some arrowheads not only in plowed farm fields and creeks. Just thinking it might work even if the dredge pushes the arrowheads out the back...it would end up in a pile of rocks that could be sifted through.

I have access to two creeks on private land in the central midwest and would love to give it a try...

Your thoughts?

Ang

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
seriously,i hunt arrowheads, find most of them on sunny oak forests hills with southwest exposures.just where we would hang out without electricity/honda generators.luck

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
patches63 said:
seriously,i hunt arrowheads, find most of them on sunny oak forests hills with southwest exposures.just where we would hang out without electricity/honda generators.luck

Yes, good point! We have a lot of sunny south facing hills and plenty of oak trees...I'll definatly keep that in mind. I also have access to A LOT of farm fields, looking for arrowheads must be great exercise too! Thanks!

patches63

Jun 20, 2009
republic of trinity usa
Detector(s) used
gpx4500,gmt
i have found gold nuggets and arrowheads where they did not belong.indians had pocket spills just as others did.but mostly,look for acorn processing areas,sunny hillocks.fall areas.where would i be in the fall,perhaps guarding the acorn grinders? :hello:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found them dredging,but I dont know how you could actually do it just for them. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
I have found them dredging,but I dont know how you could actually do it just for them. :icon_scratch:

Retired, hopefully not having to work...time on my hands looking to try something new and have a good excuse to use my Keene dredge after I leave Alaska :hello2: Plus, if the creek happens to be a swimming hole, maybe other neat items would surface :icon_thumleft:

Ang

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:

Retired, hopefully not having to work...time on my hands looking to try something new and have a good excuse to use my Keene dredge after I leave Alaska :hello2: Plus, if the creek happens to be a swimming hole, maybe other neat items would surface :icon_thumleft:

Ang

Now "other neat items",is a different story!I have dredged many a swimming hole and have found an unreal amount of "neat",items!
The difference is,an arrowhead is a rock,and sluices are designed to have rocks "leave",the sluice

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:

Ang

Yeah, but another guy on a diff forum said he built a 3x3 box with 1/4 screen that he put behind the dredge to catch most everything except sand and small rocks...it takes two people, one for the nozzle and one to manage the 3x3 box contents; I'm willing to try anything! He also put blocks under his dredge to allow more room in the rear as his creek was only 5" deep...I'm excited to try it!

Now "other neat items",is a different story!I have dredged many a swimming hole and have found an unreal amount of "neat",items!
The difference is,an arrowhead is a rock,and sluices are designed to have rocks "leave",the sluice

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:

Ang

Yeah, but another guy on a diff forum said he built a 3x3 box with 1/4 screen that he put behind the dredge to catch most everything except sand and small rocks...it takes two people, one for the nozzle and one to manage the 3x3 box contents; I'm willing to try anything! He also put blocks under his dredge to allow more room in the rear as his creek was only 5" deep...I'm excited to try it!

Now that you mention that,Keene has a box like that for coins,or gems?Most coins seem to catch in the riffles.

If you dont have air on your dredge I would highly recommend it

OP
OP
AlaskaAng

AlaskaAng

Dec 23, 2004
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:

Yep, I need to work on getting the hookah system...I don't really need it up here in AK as I typically dredge in shallow 1-2' of water. It would be very helpful for swimming holes!

Ang

Now that you mention that,Keene has a box like that for coins,or gems?Most coins seem to catch in the riffles.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:
AlaskaAng said:
kuger said:

Yep, I need to work on getting the hookah system...I don't really need it up here in AK as I typically dredge in shallow 1-2' of water. It would be very helpful for swimming holes!

Ang

Yes,absolute necessity.

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have dredged several ,even some very nice ones - no telling how many passed right on out of the box. have dredged many civil war bullets and mini balls as well.

Steve0

Feb 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI, Minelab excalibur
HI ang, good to see you are still trying differnt stuff, now the question, how do you know where you can use the dredge here my state says the own everything under and above the water. I am sure your crrek is on private property but does it leave there somewhere? I am just wondering of the rules would love to dredge in some lakes up here

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arrowhead hunting.
I have family in Prescott Arizona.
They're always showing me new arrow heads they found.
It seems that the area around their property as lots of Indian artifacts.
it may not be how to find them, but where to find them.
I noticed there a lot of arrowhead hunting boards. :goldpan:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
CAUTION*********arrowheads and other artifacts are covered/protected by the antiquities act. i wouldnt be mentioning anything online about them!! all websites are being monitored! just for your info! the 1979 Archaelogical resources Protwection Act (ARPA) although reading this law can be confuseing at times, they will nail you to the cross if they catch you with anything! the Missouri Department of Natural Resources puts a notice in the papers every year about it when the rivers are low!

Last edited:

fire50

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pretty cool discussion and all the above participants perform well and expose the idea according to what they have inside so its my pleasure to have it....It clear me too what I was looking for...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread