using excal2, interested in nox800 or 3030. input please

ShinyShores

Mar 19, 2020
Rhode Island
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been using the excel 2 for a month. around 5 days a week for 4-7hrs per hunt. I and am having trouble getting accurate signals that are at any depth. Considering trying the nox800 or 3030, seems so many people swing the 800. I don't go deep in the water but do like beach hunting low tide. I know I have not given it a lot of time to adapt and learn to so I am not knocking the excel, i blame it on user error. But I have seen a lot of side by side beach reviews with the 800 and excel where it seems the excel is more reliable. any input from users of these machines, thanks!

Last edited:

ROBOTCOP13

Jul 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes you have not given it enough time.

Hunt in pin point till you get a target than switch to discriminate before you decide to dig.
Pin point is a deeper mode.

If you hunt in discriminate your attention span will wander due to the sing songy tones.
If you go over iron the null will take a while to recover and you lose a brief second of swing time.

You will realize why experienced hunters get the pin point mod done to easily switch between modes.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Kellyco did my pin point mod about 5 years ago now - not sure they still do it. I was so anxious to get the machine back, I drove down to Florida from Southwest Virginia to pick it up in person when it was complete. Good people there at Kellyco. The fellow who did the mods then unfortunately passed away shortly after I met him.

The Excal is a whole different machine with the mod. Love it completely.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Another point to make - I have both the CTX and the EQ800.

That Excal is still my go to machine in the water.

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many reports of Nox leaking and frying, I'd think twice about using it as a primary water machine [I have one but never dunked it, my cousin did and it died the 1st outing]

IMO the machine simply is not waterproof. I use AT pro in the water, yes it looks outdated but it is reliable, deep, simple and a ring magnet. [May not do well in salt water, not sure]

geardoc

Aug 26, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the waterproof issue with the NOX because the electronics are submerged? I did some shallow water hunting but now am worried about deeper water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread