using gps for cache searching

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
i have a car gps, but i was wondering if a gps records your travel so that you can transfer the route to a topo?in other words, i would like to know what ground i've covered and plot it on a map.do they have memory cards or units that do this?thanks

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The Garmin units I have will all do that. It depends on what type of GPS unit you have, along with the software installed on your computer.

If you like driving around looking for cache's you should try www.geocaching.com it's a load of fun. I hit some geocaches while I'm out treasure hunting.

mr007s

Sep 8, 2007
Where the pavement ends in NC
keegah said:
i have a car gps, but i was wondering if a gps records your travel so that you can transfer the route to a topo?in other words, i would like to know what ground i've covered and plot it on a map.do they have memory cards or units that do this?thanks

Most GPS'ers have a track function. Clear the track log, turn it on and make your trip. Save the log and turn track off when you are thru. At home connect the Gps to your computer and transfer your track to your mapping program.

I use mine most all the time while in parks or while mtn. biking. A very good way to share routes with friends. The possibilities are endless.

mr007s,,,,Life is Good

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
You can even with some units, garmin comes to mind, link directly with your computer and log right into google earth and get a satellite view of the exact route you took and save it as a picture, map or whatever.

aaron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread