What's new

UTAH BOONDOCKING JUNE 23

Peyton Manning

Platinum Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2012
Messages
15,017
Reaction score
18,979
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Planning a trip to southern Utah for next year
Wanting any tips on boondock camping( free on blm land)
I used to backpack out west when young.
Now am looking forward to tent camping off road in the beautiful desert
 
Oh like, are there areas known to be high in crime
Or places not worth going to
 
Thanks for the info
I just googled the best time to go
Would may be better?
 
We generally go and camp at the Horse Thief BLM campground north of Moab, usually end of May or first of September. Sometimes it's very hot and sometimes very cold. This is a fee area, but I get half price. No water or electric but the wife likes a table and a bathroom. It's a good base for checking out all that area. Get there before noon and no problem finding a spot. Starts to fill up after about 5 p.m. Lots of free BLM camping on down the road west of there, too. I haven't experienced any bad crime in that area. By that, I mean I can leave camp and when I return all my stuff is still there. The biggest crime you will experience probably is you aren't able to spend enough time there. You'll like that part of the country, and never enough time to see it all.
 
Wasn’t aware of gemstones there
One reason we didn’t go this year was the drought
Hope we can have campfires in 23
 
If you go I-70, when you get into Utah all the roads on the south side until you get to 191, are BLM roads, pretty decent, and they head toward the colorado river which has eroded through the Morrison formation! Really a fun area to wander around! As you go further west, go past green river and take 24 south towards hanksville, agate both sides of road, San rafeal uplift is incredible on the west side,I think you could spend a lifetime exploring in these areas. There will be a ton of people around the Moab area! Those other places, not so much! Now I’m ready to go!
 
Can’t wait for a good snow so I can google earth that area
 
New target date I’d mid may
Tent acquired now
 
Well Peyton Manning, you're going to enjoy it there, pretty much wherever you wind up. We'll be lookin for pics, too.
 
We will stop to see friends at grand junction and will begin the camping from there
 
What kind of tips you looking for? How to put up a tent? Lol just kidding
Tip #1 in the desert you have to bring your own water
Tip #2 Bring you defensive tool and plenty of defensive fuel for it. They've got Skinwalkers and such out there.
 
Uh oh, what’s a skin walker?
 
Uh oh, what’s a skin walker?
Uh ...er....nevermind. Don't look it up if you're headed out there.. Jk..just a little native folklore. Seriously though, no reason not to be properly armed if possible.
 
What about skooma adicts? Do they populate Utah?
 
Even I have no clue what a skooma addict is, haha!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom