Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always checkin these out when I'm down around Moab, and never get tired of lookin at them and searchin for more. The last pic is not Indian. It's not visible to the casual passerby as it's on top of the boulder and you have to be right there to see it. No clue what it points at. More rocks I guess.

Attachments

• ut7.jpg
    ut7.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 80
  • ut8.jpg
    ut8.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 78
  • ut9.jpg
    ut9.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 78
  • ut15.jpg
    ut15.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 80
  • ut2.jpg
    ut2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 78
Really nice RGINN....is that 3d one a cougar with the BH sheep?

dig it! looks like a fine trip.

The last one is very interesting. Do you have more info on this one?

Always checkin these out when I'm down around Moab, and never get tired of lookin at them and searchin for more. The last pic is not Indian. It's not visible to the casual passerby as it's on top of the boulder and you have to be right there to see it. No clue what it points at. More rocks I guess.

Third one is a bear, ck. There's not that many bear depictions known, and this is probably the easiest one to be able to get to and view in the country. It has two figures shooting arrows at it. I would say maybe historic Ute, without lookin it up. I'm more interested in the second one. That sheep is lookin backwards which I really haven't seen. That section of the panel has had a lot of erosion so they're hard to make out. Really have no clue on that last one, embrym. It's alongside a road, but you have to walk right up to that particular boulder and look on top to see it. It's old. I put a quarter on the rock for reference. To the upper right of the arrow that dark shadow is another chiselled out line. Below that is what appears to be a number or letter. Maybe a survey marker or a marker related to a mining claim?

One more thing. In the 4th pic, to the right of the feet and below the sheep is a phallic Kokopelli figure. This is an out of the way location that the casual tourist won't see. The feds know about the panel, but I can't find anything published on it other than it's there. Lot of stuff goin on in this one that's not in my pic. It's hard to photograph, as it's exposed more to the elements and hasn't weathered well. Probably 50% of it is gone already, and in another 200 years there won't be hardly much left of it. Sorry for rattling on, but I really do find those things interesting.

Gee RGINN...you probably should take as many pictures as possible before it does disappear....might be the only good records for the future...could even do a book or something, wouldn't that be nice! I find that taking pictures of things like that, it sometimes makes a big difference what time of day they're taken. Might be best to take pics when the sun is shinning at an angle to see the lines of the drawings best....you probably already know this. I think they're Very interesting & important to & need to be saved in some way....and you might be the man to do it...you do take Great pictures!

Note....I looked at them again.....are they "3D" at all or just flat drawings? As what I said would apply to a 3D & not 2.

Last edited:
That one with the arrow was pointing to a buried treasure location. I say "was" because I moved the rock so it pointed elsewhere until I can get back there with some time to dig it up. :)

One more thing. In the 4th pic, to the right of the feet and below the sheep is a phallic Kokopelli figure. This is an out of the way location that the casual tourist won't see. The feds know about the panel, but I can't find anything published on it other than it's there. Lot of stuff goin on in this one that's not in my pic. It's hard to photograph, as it's exposed more to the elements and hasn't weathered well. Probably 50% of it is gone already, and in another 200 years there won't be hardly much left of it. Sorry for rattling on, but I really do find those things interesting.

Howdy RGINN,

Kokopelli was some travler, his images are also found in Texas, and along the Rio Grande. One of the stories is that he would detach his phallus and leave it where the ladies went to bathe so that they would get pregnant. I know of three stone phalluses that have been found next to the Rio Grande, one in Maverick County, and two in Webb County. It gives credance to the legend. If you ever hear of one being found, ask where, it will most likely be next to water.

Homar

Petroglyphs were made by pecking with a rock or pointed tool through the desert patina on the rocks ck. Kenneth B. Castleton put together a really good book with pics and drawings of Utah petroglyphs. He visited this area in 7 Mile Canyon but either didn't find or chose not to publish some of the depictions. He said nothing about the painted pictographs and doesn't mention the flute player. My belief on the Kokopelli figure is that it indicates this is on a trader's route. A trader will pass through here at certain times which may be indicated by other petroglyphs. On this same panel is another glyph that directs you in a straight line across the wash to another glyph that directs you to go east, with a line that represents the contour of the canyon wall. When I got there, I found a recessed cove in the canyon, lots of chips and flakes but nothin else. Probably a happenin place a thousand years ago. I can't prove any of that, but it can't be disproved either. If you come across the book 'The Rocks Begin to Speak', ck, buy it. Can't recall the author's name, but that guy does a good job of interpreting a lot of glyphs.

Thank you RGINN for the great information on the petroglyphs, sounds like you sure know what you're talking about.:icon_thumleft: I'll look for that book, it sounds really good. Are some of your pictures of the one's he (Castleton) didn't publish or maybe find? You said that you're more interested in the "backwards looking sheep" one, any comments on it about why?

The second and fourth one Castleton didn't have in his book. But my gosh, the guy travelled all over Utah gettin pics so anything he left out or missed should be called minor omissions. I just haven't seen any of an animal looking backwards. I am also tryin to figure out what looks like musical notes below the sheep. Maybe people travelling with packs? And for America B.C. fans, Barry Fell would probably tell us the sombrero lookin figure in front of the sheep is a depiction of a Chinese ship. (hey, could be?!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back