What's new

V Nickel Question

apush

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 21, 2009
Messages
1,942
Reaction score
212
Golden Thread
0
Location
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,

Are the "V" nickels 1942-1945? I just purchased the Red Book, but the text does not explicitly state "V." I found my first one today in a nickel box (1943-P).

And while I am assuming, does "V" stands for Victory against the Axis Powers? Regardless if it is or is not, the historian in me is very excited. No telling where this nickel has traveled during the war on the homefront or abroad. To me, that is just as exciting to think about as finding a silver coin.

apush :read2:
 
Upvote 0
No the v came before the buffalo which led into the jefferson . The v is actually part of the barber series of coins .
 
Hi there Apush, to start out when you refer to a V nickle that is not one made in 1943, those are jefferson nickels, the V was last made in 1912 and the V stood for 5 as in five cents, it was also called a Liberty nickel, now as to your 1943 it is interesting that you said you would rather find that then silver becuase you in fact did find silver, if it has a large mint mark above Monticello on the reverse it has a 35% silver content, hope this helps.

Chuck.
 
Tattooguy67 said:
Hi there Apush, to start out when you refer to a V nickle that is not one made in 1943, those are jefferson nickels, the V was last made in 1912 and the V stood for 5 as in five cents, it was also called a Liberty nickel, now as to your 1943 it is interesting that you said you would rather find that then silver becuase you in fact did find silver, if it has a large mint mark above Monticello on the reverse it has a 35% silver content, hope this helps.

Chuck.
I f Im not mistaken there was 1913 v nicks made but only 5 or 6 known and if you have one of these you can retire. Correct me if Im wrong though.
 
dasherhunting said:
Tattooguy67 said:
Hi there Apush, to start out when you refer to a V nickle that is not one made in 1943, those are jefferson nickels, the V was last made in 1912 and the V stood for 5 as in five cents, it was also called a Liberty nickel, now as to your 1943 it is interesting that you said you would rather find that then silver because you in fact did find silver, if it has a large mint mark above Monticello on the reverse it has a 35% silver content, hope this helps.

Chuck.
I f Im not mistaken there was 1913 v nicks made but only 5 or 6 known and if you have one of these you can retire. Correct me if Im wrong though.
You Are indeed correct on this, the number is supposed to be 5 and yes they are worth a bunch, and yes I think retirement would be an option!

Chuck.
 
"The Liberty Head nickel, sometimes referred to as the V nickel due to its reverse design, was an American nickel five-cent piece. Officially, it was minted from 1883 to 1912; a few patterns were struck in 1881 and 1882, and five pieces were surreptitiously struck in 1913, which today number among America's most fabled numismatic rarities. The Liberty Head nickel's composition was the same as that of other U.S. five-cent nickels: 75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel."

There are two verities for the 1883 V nickel. Type I is without the word "cents" on the back. Type II is with the word "cents" on the back. The reason that they changed it is because con-artists were gold-plating type I's, and were passing them off as $5 gold pieces.

TOP PICTURE: Type I V nickel.
BOTTOM PICTURE: Type II V nickel.
 

Attachments

  • 800px-1883_No_Cents_Liberty_Nickel.webp
    800px-1883_No_Cents_Liberty_Nickel.webp
    62.4 KB · Views: 532
  • 600px-Liberty_Nickel_With_Cents_Reverse.webp
    600px-Liberty_Nickel_With_Cents_Reverse.webp
    54.8 KB · Views: 822
Here is one I found a few months back. Yes, they are still out there. This is the 1883 no cents variety.

I found another one last year but it was so rusty you could only see 188X on it.
 

Attachments

  • 1883 Obv.webp
    1883 Obv.webp
    15.4 KB · Views: 426
  • 1883 Rev.webp
    1883 Rev.webp
    16.3 KB · Views: 454
I found my first one July 4th:)

of course it's 1911, figures, don't it?
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0212.webp
    DSCF0212.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 446
  • DSCF0214.webp
    DSCF0214.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 452
  • DSCF0212.webp
    DSCF0212.webp
    41.4 KB · Views: 434
  • DSCF0214.webp
    DSCF0214.webp
    41.8 KB · Views: 425
Then, I should refer to this as a War Nickel?

Thanks everyone! Now I got it.

apush :read2:
 
apush said:
Then, I should refer to this as a War Nickel?

Thanks everyone! Now I got it.

apush :read2:

A war nickel is a nickel made from 1942-1945. You can tell if it's a war nickel if it has a large mintmark right above Monticello. A V nickel was made from 1883-1912.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom