Vanquish iron falsing

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally decided to make use of my Youtube account and share a quick video of what I try to warn people about before buying a Vanquish if you are new to detecting. They are awesome for parks and beaches, but are prone to iron falsing in heavy iron. If you plan to do any serious relic hunting where there are old nails or bits of iron, then the Vanquish might frustrate you. I see lots of daily questions on FB groups where people are asking why they are getting constant high tones and then can't find a target. I would strongly consider spending a little more for an Equinox if you are looking at this type of hunting. This is a colonial home site in KY that I've hunted for years with 8 different detectors. The ground is saturated with square nails and bits of iron. I am using a custom mode based on jewelry, all metal on, low iron bias, and sensitivity down two bars.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not sure what’s different on the Nox v Vanquish in regards to iron falsing. Happened to me plenty with my Nox. I have a 540 PP and am hoping the 5x8 will lessen the falsing, and I can use cross sweep and star sweep to weed out the iron highs from the non ferrous highs. I do a lot of homesite hunting and don’t expect the Vanquish to be my go to for that- I have my Orx and F19 - but I’ll surely see what the Vanquish can do.

OP
OP
67GTA

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found the biggest difference between the Nox and the Vanquish is the ground balance settings. The Nox will hunt that same spot with minimal falsing after a manual GB. The Vanquish lacks manual GB and I think it contributes to a lot of the falsing. Not sure what numbers it defaults to (Minelab hasn't told us).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread