Vanquish on a whim

Andy Nunez

Nov 19, 2015
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540 or Garrett Ace 400 with a Cors Cannon coil and Z-lynk, Predator Piranha shovel, White's TRX pinpointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the same.

I had an issue with my 540 shutting down randomly, most after I bumped a cornstalk or something to jostle it. I found out about the foam insert cure, cut a piece of packing that I had lying around and I have not had the shut off problem since. I trimmed it until it was hard to shut the lid, but it shut tightly. No issues at all since doing that. If you are checking for tightness before turning the machine on, though, not sure this will work but might be worth trying since you have nothing to lose but a piece of thin foam and some time. :)

By the way, I love my 540. It is great at the beach and I hunt exclusively in jewelry mode not matter what the setting, but you can't swing real fast. At my age, I can't swing real fast anyway. I got a nickel at a foot down on the beach in Ocean City Maryland, so it's plenty sensitive without falsing. I usually run it two notches from full sensitivity. I pick up tiny shot in fields and got some tombac cuff buttons that read 8-9, so it gets pretty much anything non-ferrous. It snagged me my first GW button, so I am sold after 30 years with Garrett. :)

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I need to add to this post, reason I am looking a owning a Minelab for the first time based on multi frequency technology it is a 440V. I have a 300i with 7x10 concentric already, and very good machine, and the V is on sale right now for $150 off the regular price, enticing, and I am about to pull the trigger on it. I just need to know if I be wasting my time with owning another in this category next to the size of coil? I have a Simplex already. I know if I go to V440 I will have a smaller V10 10" x 7" Double-D though, have a look at my list of detectors and let me know if I am doing something wrong purchasing the V440 or should wait to consider bypassing this save up for the 540 or better consider a Deus, Nox 600 or 800, or a higher end Nokta instead? Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated, as right now to what I have to being enticed by only the price here for a personal Fathers day gift for myself :tongue3:

Discriminating Segments, Backlight, and the Bluetooth, aptX™ Low Latency, 5 tones, and low Iron Bias, and larger coil, is this really something $150.00 should be why I need to take a step back to really just deal what I have and not be drawn in so much of owning another detector but maybe later a Nox instead as I dont really need another beginner/Intermediate if you even call it an intermediate machine?

Last edited:

Richard Guy

VETERAN
Dec 19, 2019
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster
Bounty Hunter 202
Nokta Simplex +
Nokta Legend
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use the Park2 mode, your Simplex will recover rapidly with minimal depth loss as compared to Park1 & Field modes

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"the V is on sale right now for $150 off the regular price, enticing, and I am about to pull the trigger on it."

Just curious, where have you seen the 440 for sale at $150 off regular price?
DD

doggoneitdignit

Oct 2, 2016
Canada
Detector(s) used
Current: Vaquero,Compadre,T2,300i, ML 440V, and Simplex+
Past:Whites 4000 D Series 3, Radio Shack 3001 Micronta
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought on a 'whim', Reg $449 CAD at Canadian Tire. Down the road if I decide for the 540 will look at the double coil bundle that way I have all 3 coils and spare base of course with all the necessary accessories was the 'main' reason for pulling the trigger on this sale.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread