Vaquero vs Tejon...best explanation for performance differences?

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm saving to purchase a new Tesoro and am evaluating the characteristics of the 3 models
that interest me (Vaquero, Tejon, & Outlaw).
I have, of course, read most of the TNet postings regarding these units as well as popular
magazine "Reviews and Field tests" to try and determine which would be best for my
application. Really wish I could select design characteristics and features from all 3 and combine
them into one unit! Maybe this new Tesoro unit reportedly coming out this year will do just that.
Anyway, most data I've read from folks "in the know" regarding Tesoro machines agree the Tejon
has a depth advantage over the Vaquero. Why is this? Is it due to the operating frequency difference
or something else? Could it be power? How does the Vaquero get such reportedly great performance
out of a single 9 volt transistor battery that weighs about 46 grams whereas the Tejon (and many
others) employs eight 1.5 volt AA batteries that weigh about 189 grams in aggregate? I believe in
power....I understand power. Maybe the fact that the Vaquero battery is a "transistor" battery?
I'm no electronics buff and was hoping someone (Mr. Soloman, maybe?) could enlighten me.
Depth alone is not my primary goal but am just curious. Other factors such as weight, pinpoint
circuitry, dual disc. modes, etc. also come into play. This will be a land-only unit for me....parks,
schools, city fields & parkways, homesites, etc. No water or relic hunting....coins & jewelry only.
I've read where some consider the Tejon to be "too much machine" for that type of hunting being
more suited for relic use, but wouldn't it be better to have a more powerful unit you could turn
down rather than a less powerful unit you couldn't turn up?
Since I live in Central Florida, ground mineralization is just not an issue. Pulled many nice coins at
depths up to 6 inches back in the late 70's using a White's TR discriminator. Weight, operational
stability, and discrimination differentiation (or recovery speed as some call it) are more important
and all three of these machines would certainly "fit the bill". I'm in no hurry as I'm stockpiling the
cash to make a buy but would truly appreciate some input from experienced TNet members.
I also have a question regarding coil size selection for coin hunting but will save that for the
"General Discussion" forum.
Thanks guys (and gals!)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It comes down to operating frequency, circuitry, and power to the coil. I have used the Vaquero and Tejon, in many different situations and soils. The Tejon has a slight depth advantage over the Vaquero, but I have gone back to the Vaquero as my main machine because of ease of use and weight. The Tejon can be "chatty" because it operates at a higher frequency and is slightly harder to keep in balance (ground), than the Vaquero. The Vaquero with a 12x10 coil runs into the same problems. With that said, I sold my Minelab E-Trac, because I was not finding anything with it that I wasn't finding with my Vaquero, and it was much heavier and a LOT more expensive!

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't had a Tejon, but for my use, the main advantage it would have for me would be the dual discrimination. Saves "thumbing" the disc knob to identify target ranges.
luvsdux

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have the Tejon... My ground and grd bal is pretty consistent but it is easy to check pulling the toggle back and raising the coil... I have been running 1/8 turn negative grn bal and it doesn't drift more than an 1/8 turn either way, so doesn't hurt my depth...also I often can max sens... If I had ever purchased a vaquero, I would have wondered about the Tejon... But for me the opposite is not true... I don't wonder about the Vaquero...

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now on power...since you know about power, you know it is measured in watts... What you perhaps don't know is: power equals volts times current! So for less voltage to have the same power you need more current... Ohms law:voltage equals current times resistance; therefore less resistance provides more current... More simply, components in the circuit by design can produce the same power from batteries of different voltage in a different circuit... Also circuits can operate properly with a little more or less applied voltage... You should however refrain from using more voltage than your detector is designed for!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Which ever you buy , you probably need to look at addition coils. Maybe the small one first. You sure have a lot of cool history in Florida to pursue ! Civil War , Indian and Pirate as well as Spanish. Wow ! Makes me want to put the truck on I 75 just thinking about it ! You got the biggest and meanest rattle snakes in the world there. Be careful ! I lived at Mac Dill AFB in Tampa and also Englewood on the weekends many years ago. Yes , you sure don't have to worry about bad ground there. You could probably hunt with the Tejon in all metal all day without ever touching the ground balance and will probably crank that sens up quite high on the Tejon. The Vaquero becomes an extension of your body and person. It is so easy to use. The Tejon will entertain you with all its features. Your thumbs and fingers will dance on the control knobs. If you have owned a lot of detectors , I say go with the Tejon. Buy the Kindle Book and read it too. If you buy a Tejon , keep that sens cut way way back until you have some " seat time " with the thing. If you lived in a place where the ground was hot and crazy , I'd tell you to buy the Vaq , but you dont and you could bore with the vaq quickly. I own both and carry them with me on hunts.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pyrogort,
The 9vt battery was given the name transistor battery because it was commonly used in early transistor radios...at the time transistor radios were invented the smallest available 22 volt battery would fry those transistors... The 9 vt battery contains no transistors...just think of it as a 9 vt battery!

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As for pinpointing, concentric coils pinpoint the easiest and most accurate... Most use pin pointers anyway, but learning to use a metal probe, a sharp knife and a screwdriver is fast becoming a lost skill! If you are lucky enough to detect for coins in well manicured lawns, this is invaluable, and I believe a necessary progression to skillful metal detecting... Let us know which detector you decide to get and good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

pyrogort

Jan 19, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Minelab Sovereign (original),
Fisher 1280-X, Garrett Master Hunter BFO,
Aquapulse.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the input, guys. Your experience, opinions, and advice speaks volumes. And oh yeah....I bought
and am currently reading the Thorsten book! Excitement building....

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
51C7wsg452L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight.jpg Check out the book on Amazon Kindle. ($10) Well worth buying and reading either detector you get.

(Sorry, I missed Sandman's post.)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions