What's new

Very early button Military or Civillian? Added backmark pics

carpetbagger

Full Member
Joined
Sep 4, 2006
Messages
238
Reaction score
12
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rock Hill S.C
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro / Whites XLT / Garrett Ace 250
I found this little badboy on a hillside with 18 other buttons, about 6 of them pewter and the others either flat or dome shaped. I almost dismissed this for a basic cuff button until I noticed the minute detail. I have been unable to locate it in Tice's book or online PLEASE help, Hoping I have something good here.
The eagle/bird looks a little early and it is clutching a bugle or a "Riflemans horn"? I never noticed the stars around the edge until I took the picture. The Back mark Is simply olive branches on one half of the button, no makers name.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff K
By the way this was found in Chester County South Carolina
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
 
Re: Very early button Military or Civillian?

with the stars and the bugle, I'd say definitely military.. I searched and came up empty which tells me you probably have something pretty rare.. I'd pm member "Monkeyboy" If he's not seen it, he can forward your pics to people who probably have :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Re: Very early button Military or Civillian?

I think you have a very interesting button there. Can't find it in any of my resources, which means that it is either unlisted (hard to imagine, but possible), or from some other nationality besides the U.S. Is there any backmark?


-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Re: Very early button Military or Civillian?

with the stars and the bugle, I'd say definitely military..


I agree,thats a dandy button!!Almost resembles a Confederate button I remember seeing but without the bugle?
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies so far. I have updated the pics and added the backmark. It is simply just olive branches not a wreath. I am not sure why this is in my head but I seem to think that the real early buttons had olive branches on the backmarks and the early to mid 1800's buttons had wreaths. I have forwarded this to monkeyboy and hopefully I will get some sort of answer. Thanks again for all of your help so far.
Jeff K
 
Upvote 0
Yep.. agreeing with a few things posted here... I responded to the PM before I happened to look for it here. So this answered the other questions I had.. it's just so similar to Riflemen and Militia Rifles buttons.. and with the other relics found and location... something should pop.. It would be great if it was unlisted... I'd love to see that.. ;-)

MB
 
Upvote 0
MonkeyBoy said:
Yep.. agreeing with a few things posted here... I responded to the PM before I happened to look for it here. So this answered the other questions I had.. it's just so similar to Riflemen and Militia Rifles buttons.. and with the other relics found and location... something should pop.. It would be great if it was unlisted... I'd love to see that.. ;-)

MB

Ok, I do not want to get all excited just to be told that it is just a simple button so I am going to try to remain calm. What do you suggest my next step is? BY the way a 1781 half reale was found by my hunting buddy about 20 feet from this button.
Jeff K
 
Upvote 0
I think I sent you a private message regarding this button. Did you get it?
 
Upvote 0
Jeff-

Great looking button, wish I would have been along on that hunt. Keep me posted as you learn more. I certainly miss hunting with you guys in South Carolina.

Trace
 
Upvote 0
Can't see anything on the back. Is there any marking or letters?

Daryl
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom