VERY IMPORTANT THING NOT TO DO !!!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day i was hunting a real old home. We have done VERY well on it. While we was detecting this place a neighbor asked me if i could find his property stake. Not thinking much about it i went over and in a few minutes had it found. The guy thanked me and offered me a reward which i declined. After I left the neighbor went over and started a argument with the person we were detecting on. He told the guy that was not the property stake and they got into a real heated argument. Now i am not allowed back at the old home site :(

If your detecting someones property and someone asks you to find a property stake i would SAY DECLINE !!!

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that sucks. I'd of never gave it a thought . thanks for the heads up.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You were used, and discarded. Heck of a thing. Maybe your next outing will provide something really great.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
The other day i was hunting a real old home. We have done VERY well on it. While we was detecting this place a neighbor asked me if i could find his property stake. Not thinking much about it i went over and in a few minutes had it found. The guy thanked me and offered me a reward which i declined. After I left the neighbor went over and started a argument with the person we were detecting on. He told the guy that was not the property stake and they got into a real heated argument. Now i am not allowed back at the old home site :(

If your detecting someones property and someone asks you to find a property stake i would SAY DECLINE !!!

Oh good Lord!!! Just trying to be nice and got bumble bee stung........ Danged! Sometimes there's no winning....

I guess I'd have done the same "right" thing, but sometimes the right thing is costly.

Don't let this cloud your future.

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just trying to point out some times property stakes can start a real fight

Just use this for future applications. I know i will never help someones neighbor out with a property line .

Digger_O'Dell

May 11, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My motto is that no good deed goes unpunished. In my experience, that's true 99% of the time.
Sorry to hear about your experience.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Gare my friend, you've been on here longer than me, and maybe in the hobby as well.

Sometimes we're just stuck when we're trying to do the right thing. Seems we're askew in this Earth's current orbit........

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I been swinging a detector since 1968 I shot a buck deer and lost four Aluminum arrows . I went and bought a Orion detector i think it was called. I never FOUND ONE of the arrows but did find a quarter and i have been hooked ever since

Last edited:

caretaker

Jan 20, 2008
Maine
Detector(s) used
2-XLT, AT Pro, CZ20, E-Trac, Excal II, GTI 1500, 250, BH 101, HH Diver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My motto is that no good deed goes unpunished. In my experience, that's true 99% of the time.
Sorry to hear about your experience. WRONG, do a good deed!!!!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about your experience. WRONG, do a good deed!!!!

Say What?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found Stakes for Property Owners Many times., with no issues .
I'd say it was a One-0ff

Only actual Issue I Ever had was the Owner Wouldn't let me dig where I was sure I Found it.
He insisted it was at a Different spot & Demanded I not dig that Particular signal.
Either He was afraid of Shortening his Property.

Or I detected where the Body was Buried & He realized it wasn't deep enough :tongue3:

He did Throw $40.00 at me though To not Find the "stake" :laughing7:

OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just usually shove the shovel in the ground till i hit the stake with out digging. I just put it in the ground at a angle. Detecting the guys land was fine. When i found the property stake for his neighbor just starterd a fight between the two again andi was right in the middle causing the issues.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being very familiar with the issues related to this...steer clear of finding someone’s property corner.

There are reference monuments...curved property lines...multiple points within close proximity...conflicting surveys, control points, goat stakes, guard stakes, sprinkler stand pipes...etc. etc.

Your doing no one a service by doing this. It’s usually not a simple matter when you actually get down to calculating the actual position of these finds..it will surprise you many times.. the pipe you thought you found was something else entirely..maybe nothing.

Just my suggestion based on many years experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gare

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do i DOUBLE or TRIPLE like IMAUDIGGER'S POST

Last edited:

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advise Gare thank you for sharing...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions