Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I received this from my father who found them in his house which was built in 1850 by an old sea captain, whose father was also an old sea captain…I've this to the Antiques Roadshow and other appraisers who didn't really seem to know what they were looking at and giving me dates which ran from the late 1700's to the mid 1800's… Has anyone ever seen something close to it? The lantern is run off of Butane with water being added and has port and starboard lights along with the magnified centre glass piece… as you can see it has been hand stamped, stands 14" tall…Any information would be greatly appreciated…Thanks

Attachments

• Lantern.jpg
    Lantern.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 81
  • numbers.jpg
    numbers.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 88

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probaby run off calcium carbide (acetylene is produced when mixed with water). That makes it post 1890 or so.

OP
OP
The Patriot

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mike, I'll try to get a hold of seller for his pics...I'll keep you posted...

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might not have caught on, as with the large white spotlight the port and starboard lights would be near impossible to make out.

This would probably have been for something small enough that multiple lights weren't practical. I'm guessing this was for a smaller pilot cutter or launch that went out to meet the larger ships and needed the forward white light to spot the place to tie up alongside while the pilot was transferred aboard. Just a very wild arse guess. Normally a ship or sailboat under power shows a white steaming light way up high on a mast (and large motor vessels/ships have a mast just for this) and the nav lights (red/green) are displayed well below it and on either side of the bow.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread