What's new

Very rough Bicentennial Half

Riverdog

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2007
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter ID
A while back, I said I'd post a pic of a very rough , ugly half dollar I found CRH a while back, I dont know what exactly happened to this coin but its been through the ringer!
I wish Id taken a pic of the edge of the coin, the reeding is gone completely, and you can clearly see the lamination of the copper and nickle, in fact, the copper is worn below the level of the nickle. I think it must have spent some time in the ocean, anyone have a guess?

Riverdog
 

Attachments

  • rough coins 006 [640x480].webp
    rough coins 006 [640x480].webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 225
  • rough coins 005 [640x480].webp
    rough coins 005 [640x480].webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 215
Upvote 0
No idea here RD, but your right about being rough.....time for that one to retire.
 
Riverdog said:
and you can clearly see the lamination of the copper and nickle, in fact, the copper is worn below the level of the nickle. I think it must have spent some time in the ocean, anyone have a guess?
Riverdog

A local lake was drained about four feet, two years ago and that left both foot bridges high and dry. Lots of people tossed coins in the water from the bridge. After the mud dried I went there with my XLT and found lots of coins and fishing weights. Many of the quarters were the same way. The copper was eaten away by the lake water, kind of reminded me of an Oreo cookie.

I think salt water would corrode, but fresh water loaded with duck k-rap will just eat away the copper and pit the outer layers.
 
I found a ben like that about a month back. i though someone had tried to pull out the silver with some acid.

o well
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom