very rusty nail

Kiwi1

Jan 16, 2020
Manchester
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
recently whilst beach combing on Blackpool beach I found a very strange rock when I started to break it apart this nail was in there I was just wondering if anybody would know when the nail was made etc although it is very rusty I believe it is iron as it has rusted a lot and is magnetic and rather heavy for its size its around 12cm thanks in advance IMG_4066.jpg

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a railrooad spike but being found on a beach I would say it's from a pier or old ship?

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool if it was from a ship but I'm more with the RR spike

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brighton has been served by a railway since 1841 but it doesn't run particularly near the beach. More likely from the concrete and timber groynes on the western side of Brighton beach I would have thought. They were originally constructed in the 1880s to protect the foreshore from wave erosion, but used as a coal delivery pier for a while and have had to be continually rebuilt and repaired since their original installation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

Kiwi1

Jan 16, 2020
Manchester
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the replies it was found in this rock it was found near the south pier at Blackpool but I thought too small for off the pier perhaps? IMG_4051.jpg

Upvote 0

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks more like conglomerate than rock

Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the replies it was found in this rock it was found near the south pier at Blackpool but I thought too small for off the pier perhaps?

I do apologise... I wasn't paying attention and misread Blackpool for Brighton. The Blackpool coast area however has an even worse history of beach erosion problems than Brighton and I would still think that's a groyne nail.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread