🥇 BANNER Victorian 14k Gold pocket watch Update; This one may cut the mustard!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not posted here in a long time ! Many reasons but this find trumps it ! I thought you guys might like seeing the watch I found today . I was hunting at a very junky site I have hunted many times . I cleared two iron signals and still had a screwtop overload signal on top of the ground snug up against a little tree , I brushed away the duff up against the little tree and Gold was staring back at me. One third of the watch was not covered in dirt. I took some insituation pics of the watch with my cell phine if you are interested I could post them . I also found an Indian head a wheatie and a bunch of other junk ! The only cleaning I have done on the watch is with a natural brisssle flux brush just brushing away the dirt lodged up by the winder . I do not even dare to open it myself ! I think I should have a pro look at this watch and decide what the best steps are for conservation . What do you think ? Thanks for looking and happy Hunting ! MaineRelic. :hello2: :headbang:

Attachments

• IMG_3710-001.JPG
    IMG_3710-001.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 1,218
  • IMG_3713-001.JPG
    IMG_3713-001.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 780
  • IMG_3716-001.JPG
    IMG_3716-001.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 815
  • IMG_3718-001.JPG
    IMG_3718-001.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 800
  • IMG_3720-001.JPG
    IMG_3720-001.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 708
Last edited:
Upvote 60

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job on saving that beautiful Waltham. Here's a little more info from a site I like to use for dating Walthams: Start: 5/1/1881 End: 7/31/1881 First: 1542001 Last: 1542500 Model: 1873 Name: Royal Material: A Grade: Royal, Riverside Size: 8 Size: 8 Plate: Ladies Plate: NL Jewelling: 2 Pairs Jewels: 11-13 Balance: exp Bal: 0 Style: KW Style: NL Comment: S.W. Source: WS Date: 12/31/2002 I'll be putting my banner vote in tomorrow as I'm on the mobile app version of this site now. Once again excellent save and HH. KR Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

By the way I used the serial number 1542493 to get the info. I hope I was seeing it right in your pic.
. Thanks for your interest Kriopelle ! I originally thought it was serial # 1642493 which is the number I punched in on the Waltham web site . But after looking at it again I do believe it is a 5 making 1542493 the right serial #. The 5 does not have a horizontal line on top . Making it look like a 6 but bottom left is open making it a five . My mistake thanks . MaineRelic

Sorry about that I didn't see kriopelle's post before I posted this-
Very nice find. Congratulations. It appears as if the serial number is 1842498. Is this correct? Or is it 1042498? The former would put it more in the date range of when it was presented as a gift. Serial numbers are only for determining the approximate age of your watch. Since they were not necessarily sold and delivered in the exact order of the manufactured or production dates.

I am familiar with NAWCC and have been a member for several years. I'm not an avid collector, but old watches do peak my interest. And yours is a beauty. Congrats.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about that I didn't see kriopelle's post before I posted this-

I am familiar with NAWCC and have been a member for several years. I'm not an avid collector, but old watches do peak my interest. And yours is a beauty. Congrats.
No problems here diggumup I appreciate your help as well I just replied to Kriopelle's post because he pointed it out first . I was confused with the info i found on the watch after entering the wrong serial # That is why i did not post the results ! It did not match the description . I recheck and reentered the # and got the same. A size 18 royal ect... It did not match a size 18 so I just assumed the records were skewed . It really did and does look like a 6 instead of a 5. My wife even read it for a 6 ! But the bottom is open on the left so it is a 5 and matched the records online ! Thanks Diggum ! MaineRelic

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In situation Pics and a Key date Indian

Hello again fellow treasure hunters ! I know these pics are kinda in reverse order . I should have posted them first in my original post ! But I think I was so excited I was not thinking clearly :icon_scratch: Anyways it's all good . This is what I saw after just clearing the leaf duff with my hand . I was so excited the first pic was not focused . the second pic was after clearing just a little more by blowing on it to clear a little more duff . It makes me wonder when it was droped being found on top of the ground ! Oh yeah , The one Indian I did find was a key date 1871 , Not in the best of shape but not in the worst of shape either . It was one i needed and has a decent date so another little bonus on this hunt ! Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_3736-001.JPG
    IMG_3736-001.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0474-001.JPG
    IMG_0474-001.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0475-001.JPG
    IMG_0475-001.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0478-001.JPG
    IMG_0478-001.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0477-001.JPG
    IMG_0477-001.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 157

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm glad that you got half of it open and it's the real deal.

OP
OP
MaineRelic

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad that you got half of it open and it's the real deal.
Thanks Pepper I appreciate that :occasion14: Tomorrow it goes to the watchdoctor to see if life can be breathed back into this beauty as I did not have a chance to get it there today. I had an appointment with my chiropractor !:laughing7::laughing7: Go figure Ah !

housemom6

Jun 7, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites Quantum XT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really is an amazing watch. You know his sister was heart broken when she lost it. Ya gotta wonder what the story behind the loss. Definitely a banner find!

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome find. Finding a complete pocket watch is very rare.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice ! I would really like to see the presentation engraving

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the banner! One more little thing that I forgot to mention is to have a look on the inside flap/lid (with a loop) of the case for a repair/cleaning/service date that a jeweler would have inscribed on the inner case. If there is any it provides a record of not only a service record of the time piece but also the latest date that it might have been used before been lost.

Example of what I'm try to say
AGRBorgEdinb.jpg

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
'Grats on the banner. That thing wasn't laying there all that long...

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is to die for! Congrats on a great save.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an amazing find!! Just beautiful!!! Many congrats to ya!
Nana :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions