Victorian Gold Cornucopia and More Buttons !

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot believe that I am still pulling finds from this old farm field. I have hammered the site hard, yet I still manage to find a bunch of buttons in each outing. I have been digging every signal, unless I am sure it is iron. This means digging plenty of hot rocks (The V3i loves them, no matter what the settings), foil signals and even signals that lean toward the ferrous side of the scale. Many times these turn out to be tiny pewter buttons, but today one of those foil signals turned out to be a real keeper!

IMG00036-20110422-1352.jpg

IMG00039-20110422-1516.jpg

Its VDI was locked on 9, which is in the lower end of the foil range, yet it had a sweet sound that is not heard often enough. I had just dug a .22 slug about 2 feet away and that one was bouncing around in the same range. I was expecting to find another slug. Needless to say I was surprised to see the tiny Victorian gold cornucopia with three tiny stones! These were popular from around 1850-1890.

001.JPG

002.JPG

This is the second old gold from the site. My first was also a cornucopia brooch, circa 1840's. It is also the site that I found both colonial silver cufflinks and plenty of watch winders and old copper rings.

Unfortunately it may be my last chance until next Fall as I expect the vegetation to begin filling in this week. Luckily I have my "new" Excalibur so I can start hitting the beaches for some more of that yellow stuff!

Upvote 0

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe the owner of the property will let ya spray some Agent Orange in yer hunting spot :laughing9:. Or some brush killer from Ortho :headbang:. Then you could hunt there all summer :laughing9:.......NGE

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
notgittinenny said:
Maybe the owner of the property will let ya spray some Agent Orange in yer hunting spot :laughing9:. Or some brush killer from Ortho :headbang:. Then you could hunt there all summer :laughing9:.......NGE

The thought (and worse) had crossed my mind >:D

But then again, why rush a good thing?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread