Victorian Gold Cornucopia and More Buttons !

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I cannot believe that I am still pulling finds from this old farm field. I have hammered the site hard, yet I still manage to find a bunch of buttons in each outing. I have been digging every signal, unless I am sure it is iron. This means digging plenty of hot rocks (The V3i loves them, no matter what the settings), foil signals and even signals that lean toward the ferrous side of the scale. Many times these turn out to be tiny pewter buttons, but today one of those foil signals turned out to be a real keeper!

IMG00036-20110422-1352.jpg

IMG00039-20110422-1516.jpg

Its VDI was locked on 9, which is in the lower end of the foil range, yet it had a sweet sound that is not heard often enough. I had just dug a .22 slug about 2 feet away and that one was bouncing around in the same range. I was expecting to find another slug. Needless to say I was surprised to see the tiny Victorian gold cornucopia with three tiny stones! These were popular from around 1850-1890.

001.JPG

002.JPG

This is the second old gold from the site. My first was also a cornucopia brooch, circa 1840's. It is also the site that I found both colonial silver cufflinks and plenty of watch winders and old copper rings.

Unfortunately it may be my last chance until next Fall as I expect the vegetation to begin filling in this week. Luckily I have my "new" Excalibur so I can start hitting the beaches for some more of that yellow stuff!

Upvote 0

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
when it comes to old farm fields you really have to dig just about every signal
and this post shows what would be missed if you dont

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
That piece is beautiful !
Old Gold pieces are of the finest discoveries :hello2:
great hunt & best of luck at those beaches :thumbsup:

jamesbibb

Bronze Member
Sep 11, 2009
Central Va
Detector(s) used
T2SE
DFX
XLT
GPX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good stuff- Ive been thinking about carringiny a backpack sprayer full of round up in _might extend my celler hole hunting LOL

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really beautiful piece there Neil ! Congrads on the old gold :headbang: MaineRelic

bootyhoundpa

Oct 1, 2010
Detector(s) used
excal-1000,sov-gt,5900di-pro,gta-1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice finds... my 5900 loves hot rocks too.... .i never dug a hot rock yet with the gt or excal... you might want to give that place the once over with the excal .. i ussually set the excal at half to 3 quarter volume , in disc mode with disc dial at lowest setting and start with sensetivity in auto and threshold barely audible.... then after giving it the once over you can fiddle with the sensetivity dial to try and get more depth....i have some places i go that the whites just doesnt perform well at but the minelabs do and visa versa at other spots... good luck either way...

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
bootyhoundpa said:
nice finds... my 5900 loves hot rocks too.... .i never dug a hot rock yet with the gt or excal... you might want to give that place the once over with the excal .. i ussually set the excal at half to 3 quarter volume , in disc mode with disc dial at lowest setting and start with sensetivity in auto and threshold barely audible.... then after giving it the once over you can fiddle with the sensetivity dial to try and get more depth....i have some places i go that the whites just doesnt perform well at but the minelabs do and visa versa at other spots... good luck either way...

I just picked up the excal earlier this week. I gave it a full charge last night to give it a test run today in my yard. As for the field, I have three buddies that have either Explorers or Etracs and they have done well at the field, but the V3i seems to get the real tiny stuff that they miss. They may have a slight edge over the V3i in depth though.

I have my eye on a TDI pulse detector to go back and dig the real deep stuff, but in the meantime once I get a hip mount setup I will try out the Excalibur at the site.

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow Neil, how deep was that thing? Was it an iffy signal? Was it in some brush? (slapping myself because I missed it!)

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is beautiful Neil. Congrats on a great find. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Elad said:
Wow Neil, how deep was that thing? Was it an iffy signal? Was it in some brush? (slapping myself because I missed it!)

You missed all of those buttons as well, but no one can ever hit every target. It was in an open area like in the first photo, but as I said it was a very low foil signal. I don't recall how deep it actually was, but it was most likely around 5 inches or so. The difference between this and foil is that the VDI number remained constant at 9. In the past the only things that have stuck on that number have been small gold. I was actually thinking it might be a ring, but you know how that usually goes!

Attachments

• IMG00037-20110422-1424.jpg
    IMG00037-20110422-1424.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 440
  • IMG00038-20110422-1425.jpg
    IMG00038-20110422-1425.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 428

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thats beautiful! nice man! :thumbsup:

Elad

Apr 23, 2008
MA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neil in West Jersey said:
Elad said:

You missed all of those buttons as well, but no one can ever hit every target. It was in an open area like in the first photo, but as I said it was a very low foil signal. I don't recall how deep it actually was, but it was most likely around 5 inches or so. The difference between this and foil is that the VDI number remained constant at 9. In the past the only things that have stuck on that number have been small gold. I was actually thinking it might be a ring, but you know how that usually goes!

Hmm strange. I dig every signal I come across, even if it's iffy or foil like. I wonder how that thing along with the buttons would show up on an Etrac. Maybe I use too much discrimination on the low ferrous side (andy's program).

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cornucopia brooch :icon_thumleft: buttons not to bad either hit that site harder listen for those very deep low signals :thumbsup: Jim

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Elad said:
Hmm strange. I dig every signal I come across, even if it's iffy or foil like. I wonder how that thing along with the buttons would show up on an Etrac. Maybe I use too much discrimination on the low ferrous side (andy's program).

I accept everything down to where a small nail would respond. I guess you could say it is about 30% down in the ferrous range, although I am not sure if the ML scale is the same.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread