villagenut
Gold Member
Well, that's what I think it is anyways. Found it in a trash pit with other late 19th century artifacts. I just cannot see how it survived all that time in the ground, and then having me wiggle it out of the ground like I did. I would think it would be bakelite, but would have expected that composition to have crumbled. It is not plastic, I did the hot needle test, and while the needle did penetrate a hair (no pun intended) it gave no odor and did not melt. Just amazes me how some stuff comes out preserved and others fall apart...but that's how it goes.








Upvote
10
) and she straightened me out on that. I then did some research and that got me looking closer and sure nuff....tortoise shell, and genuine as well. That explains the good condition of it and when I put a light source behind it , it becomes somewhat mesmerizing, Pretty good find after all, and rare to dig one up I am sure.You can see all the intricacies of the hand carving. From what I have read, it could be from the 1860 time period as similar examples date from that period. Most were hair combs but this was a hair piece made to stand up and show off as the sunlight shined through it.








