Victorio Peak - One Thing I struggle to Reconcile

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Full disclosure, I'm a novice when it comes to this treasure site and I know there are a lot of folks on here that have been researching a lot harder and a lot longer than I could ever hope to. I take most of what I read at face value, in the absence of anything concrete to the contrary. I'm not a zealot though, and I appreciate the value of having different perspectives on any topic. That said, something has been really sorta bouncing around in the back of my head...

The sheer volume of treasure alleged to be in Victorio Peak would suggest that it is unlikely it was brought in through the shaft that Noss found. Noss himself claimed in some version that there was a way out from the side that was covered over with boards and that light came in. Additionally, Fiege is alleged to have found a side way in and seen the bars firsthand as well. It seems to me as well that one of the Treasure hunting teams that came in found a side entrance and recovered a bar in the process. All signs point to a side entrance, and common sense would suggest that so many tons of gold bars (among other things) would have likely been deposited by use of a side entrance.

My question is this, why would there have ever been a shaft in the first place? It's much easier to bring the treasure in from the bottom than taking it to the top and bringing it down a piece at a time through a shaft. What function would the shaft have ever served given it's impracticality as a means of introducing the treasure to the caverns?

BennyV

Feb 22, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full disclosure, I'm a novice when it comes to this treasure site and I know there are a lot of folks on here that have been researching a lot harder and a lot longer than I could ever hope to. I take most of what I read at face value, in the absence of anything concrete to the contrary. I'm not a zealot though, and I appreciate the value of having different perspectives on any topic. That said, something has been really sorta bouncing around in the back of my head...

The sheer volume of treasure alleged to be in Victorio Peak would suggest that it is unlikely it was brought in through the shaft that Noss found. Noss himself claimed in some version that there was a way out from the side that was covered over with boards and that light came in. Additionally, Fiege is alleged to have found a side way in and seen the bars firsthand as well. It seems to me as well that one of the Treasure hunting teams that came in found a side entrance and recovered a bar in the process. All signs point to a side entrance, and common sense would suggest that so many tons of gold bars (among other things) would have likely been deposited by use of a side entrance.

My question is this, why would there have ever been a shaft in the first place? It's much easier to bring the treasure in from the bottom than taking it to the top and bringing it down a piece at a time through a shaft. What function would the shaft have ever served given it's impracticality as a means of introducing the treasure to the caverns?
Some think that they actually smelter bars there. That shaft was used as a chimney.

OP
OP
R

Randy Bradford

Jun 27, 2004
Some think that they actually smelter bars there. That shaft was used as a chimney.
Which leads one to wonder, why was there a ladder in the chimney when Noss found it? :) An operation that big would nee a lot more than one chimney I think...but it's as good a thought as any. Appreciate the feedback.

To your point, I forgot Noss claimed there was a smelter and bellows on site. Seems strange though because nothing suggests the gold was mined there that I'm aware of.

Seems an early version of the story also has Doc starting a fire inside while Ova watched for smoke coming out but none did that they could see.

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Which leads one to wonder, why was there a ladder in the chimney when Noss found it? :) An operation that big would nee a lot more than one chimney I think...but it's as good a thought as any. Appreciate the feedback.

To your point, I forgot Noss claimed there was a smelter and bellows on site. Seems strange though because nothing suggests the gold was mined there that I'm aware of.

Seems an early version of the story also has Doc starting a fire inside while Ova watched for smoke coming out but none did that they could see.
Noss was a lifelong liar, sociopath, convicted criminal, con man and likely a murderer to boot. Why believe anything he said? Same goes for government allegations re Victorio Peak after Noss's demise.

Your question: if the gold was smelted inside Victorio Peak, where was the mine it came from, since most (all) early smelters are adjacent to the ore source. There doesn't seem to be an acceptable answer.

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe that is why there is/was so many rooms, tunnels etc in there. Might have been mining it from right there and that is what created it all. Assuming they were there to start with. Why else did someone dig them out to begin with.. If the gold was really there it had to either be mined there or came in from some where, and then they had to dig that all out to hid it and apparently never came back for it..

autofull

Mar 18, 2010
exeter pa
Detector(s) used
garrett
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

natural volcano vent.

KathrynB

May 4, 2023

Hello,
I work for Yavapai County in Prescott, AZ.
We were referred a case for a deceased man found in Sedona, AZ identified as Roger Snow, born 1955, reportedly recently living in Las Cruces, NM.
I have been unable to locate next of kin but my research led me to this forum since his name is used on this site.
If anyone is a friend of Mr. Snow, please contact me if you have any information which could help me to locate family to notify of his death. Thank you.

Aug 15, 2017
Lower Alabama, Wish I was in Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I work for Yavapai County in Prescott, AZ.
We were referred a case for a deceased man found in Sedona, AZ identified as Roger Snow, born 1955, reportedly recently living in Las Cruces, NM.
I have been unable to locate next of kin but my research led me to this forum since his name is used on this site.
If anyone is a friend of Mr. Snow, please contact me if you have any information which could help me to locate family to notify of his death. Thank you.
I enjoyed reading Roger's post. Hate to hear it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread