Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Find of the week for me was a World War 2 Victory Medal!

It's unfortunately very "dirty" but seems to be coming clean in patches. I have this bronze medal soaking in vinegar ... AND if anyone has any better advice I am very anxious to hear it.

I found this about 6" deep at my secondary dump/carnival site. It was so "dirty" (I hate to say corroded ...I thought bronze does not corrode too much?) that I couldn't tell it wasn't just a piece of scrap. I could see what seemed to be an eyelet so stuck it in my pocket.

A half hour of cleaning uncovered the words: "Freedom From Fear" and good 'ol Google got me this photo. I am pretty darn Excited! :icon_sunny:

These medals were handed out to each serviceman from December 7, 1941 to December 31, 1946 and so I expect others have found them also...I am curious to know.

Other notable (to me) find at this site was a 1956 D wheat penny.

I'll post an actual photo after I get the medal cleaned up better.

HH Joe

UPDATE:June 2,

Well The first night's cleaning is done. I worked it as much as I could and as gently as I could. Notice the 2 pieces of embedded stones, one larger gray and one white. It looks like the bronze matrix has broken down.

It is heartbreakingly sad to see it in this shape.

World War 2 has a very strong, personal, emotional claim on me and it's very, very sad.

Still, I am very happy (bittersweet) to have this medal recovered and in my hands.

Attachments

• ww2 victory medal.jpg
    ww2 victory medal.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 377
  • medal sm.jpg
    medal sm.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back