What's new

(**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

KYshooter

Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 28, 2009
Messages
298
Reaction score
46
Golden Thread
0
Location
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
(**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Well … let’s get started with the newest episode of Kentucky Diggin’!
[youtube=425,350]aHF_KVMBPDM[/youtube]

I hunted yesterday for a couple of hours at an old homestead house. No joy on that one. Dug a 1942 Wheatie and some relics, but nothing earth-shattering.

So, this afternoon, I went back to my old hotel. I had only been hunting 20-25 minutes when I stumbled across this amazing find. A U.S. Marine Corps uniform button!
02-16-11-marine-button-front.jpg

02-16-11-marine-button-back.jpg


I need some forum button “experts” to weigh in and tell me a date on this button. It’s about 29.5 mm in diameter.

Two questions? How old is it, and how can I clean it?

A few minutes later I dug this awesome spoon …
02-16-11-spoon.jpg


The back is marked, “Am’n Sterling Co.” But it doesn’t look sterling. Another mystery. Here’s the mark …
02-16-11-american-sterling.jpg


Besides a pile of old trash and various “whatzits,” I did manage to pull my one and only coin for the day … an 1893-O Barber Dime! It’s my fourth silver of the year (all dimes, and all in the 1800′s … interestingly enough), and the fifth silver found on this site.

Here are the pics …
02-16-11-1893-barber-obverse.jpg

02-16-11-1893-barber-reverse.jpg


Thanks for looking! Be sure to go to my YouTube channel and hit the “subscribe” button!

KYshooter
 
Upvote 0
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

allen said:
looks like something tried eating that Barber dime !!

Well, it wasn't me ... :laughing7:
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Cool finds! Where in Ketucky are you from?
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Nice barber!!
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Another good video KYshooter.keep,em comming. :thumbsup:
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

good finds congrats
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Nice score KyS. Anything marine Corps gets me going :laughing7: Not sure on the age ???
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Rickiowa2009 said:
Cool finds! Where in Ketucky are you from?

Western end - near Lake Barkley.
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

I told you not to give up on that spot anytime soon.

Mike
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Nice digs!

The button appears to be Albert's MC13, which would make it post CW era.
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

KYS,
Excellent job on the video again. You are the master. :thumbsup:
Great job on the old relics. Cool looking old property.
-MM-
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Sweet Marine Button :thumbsup:
looks like an MC218 in Tice :read2:
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

steelheadwill said:
Sweet Marine Button :thumbsup:
looks like an MC218 in Tice :read2:

What does that mean? :dontknow:
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

KYshooter said:
steelheadwill said:
Sweet Marine Button :thumbsup:
looks like an MC218 in Tice :read2:

What does that mean? :dontknow:
A Tice MC218 is the same as an Albert's MC10. Steelheadwill is overlooking your statement that yours measures 29.5 mm. Yours was likely a 28mm but has expanded due to internal and external corrosion. An MC13 is a 28mm and I would agree with Neil in West Jersey that it is post civil war. I posted pics of MC13s in the other forum you posted your button for you to see. If you look closely at your button you will see it still retains some of the black finish put on MC13s. A backmark would really be helpful but I am sceptical that you will get one off your button as corroded as it is.

I served in the Marine Corps for 30 years so I take a special interest in Marine Corps relics, ergo my persistence in helping date the button. After 30 years I guess that makes me a Marine Corps relic. :laughing7:
 
Pic

Enclosed is a pic of a dug MC13 centered with a backmark of D Evans & Co Attleboro Falls. ( I believe this to be WW1 period)

Upper left: a non dug MC10 with a Horstman Bros & Co Phil bm (I believe this to be Post War Civil War)

Upper right: is a dug MC10 a Walton Bros New York bm likely Post War as listed as no earlier than 1865.

Lower left: dug MC10 with a Horstman Bros & Co (same category as Upper left.

Lower right: dug MC10 with a Horstman Bros & Co also likely Post war. I followed some bad advice and turned the button black with olive oil. Do not put olive oil on buttons unless you want them to turn black. Mineral oil is ok.
 

Attachments

  • oohrah..webp
    oohrah..webp
    58.9 KB · Views: 221
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Digger54 said:
KYshooter said:
steelheadwill said:
Sweet Marine Button :thumbsup:
looks like an MC218 in Tice :read2:

What does that mean? :dontknow:
A Tice MC218 is the same as an Albert's MC10. Steelheadwill is overlooking your statement that yours measures 29.5 mm. Yours was likely a 28mm but has expanded due to internal and external corrosion. An MC13 is a 28mm and I would agree with Neil in West Jersey that it is post civil war. I posted pics of MC13s in the other forum you posted your button for you to see. If you look closely at your button you will see it still retains some of the black finish put on MC13s. A backmark would really be helpful but I am sceptical that you will get one off your button as corroded as it is.

I served in the Marine Corps for 30 years so I take a special interest in Marine Corps relics, ergo my persistence in helping date the button. After 30 years I guess that makes me a Marine Corps relic. :laughing7:

What can I use to try and clean this button a bit?
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

Digger54 said:
KYshooter said:
steelheadwill said:
Sweet Marine Button :thumbsup:
looks like an MC218 in Tice :read2:

What does that mean? :dontknow:
A Tice MC218 is the same as an Albert's MC10. Steelheadwill is overlooking your statement that yours measures 29.5 mm. Yours was likely a 28mm but has expanded due to internal and external corrosion. An MC13 is a 28mm and I would agree with Neil in West Jersey that it is post civil war. I posted pics of MC13s in the other forum you posted your button for you to see. If you look closely at your button you will see it still retains some of the black finish put on MC13s. A backmark would really be helpful but I am sceptical that you will get one off your button as corroded as it is.

I served in the Marine Corps for 30 years so I take a special interest in Marine Corps relics, ergo my persistence in helping date the button. After 30 years I guess that makes me a Marine Corps relic. :laughing7:

30?? That's all :laughing7:
 
Pixie Dust might be the best bet

What can I use to try and clean this button a bit?
[/quote]

Unfortunately your button is badly corroded. Either it was in a constant moisture exposure or some type of mineral/chemical exposure. I'm not versed on relic restoration and can only advise what I would personally do. Maybe there are some others on this forum that have faced similar challenges that could offer some advice

I would not do anything more to the face other than a soft bristle brush and water and then only very gentle brushing as you may end up flaking off part of the face. If you are trying to see if if you can find the back mark I would use a dremel tool with a soft wire brush wheel on low speed and lightly polish the back. The problem with later period buttons is that the lettering was finer and shallower lettering. My other MC13 is in real good shape but i still can only make out half of the bm which is a Waterbury due the thin shallow lettering.

I'd let it dry it thoroughly then put mineral oil on it.

Still a cool find though. :thumbsup:
 
Re: (**Video**) Marine Corps Button & a Barber

30?? That's all :laughing7:
[/quote]

Had to, was gonna half to hire a food tester to protect me as I was holding up the promotion chain. :coffee2:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom