What's new

Viking/Bronze Age GOLD and a lovely rare hammered coin !!!!

Nectar Detector

Greenie
Joined
Mar 18, 2016
Messages
13
Reaction score
55
Golden Thread
0
Location
London UK
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here is a short story of a dayout by myself on my own permission. I had been at least 6 times to these pasture fields, and to be honest, apart from a crotal bell, a thimble and a few viccy pennies, I really felt that this land, which is my only permission, really had not much history on it at all. It also made it a difficult day as the farmer had had several small fires on the field and there was coke every where.
Anyway, I started on the first field, and had done at aleast 4 hours on it and nothing good to show for it, plus was by myself and I always find it boring that way. I like a bit of company and a chat.

I went back to the car for lunch, a 5 minute walk, scoffed it down and came back out to the first field as soon as possible. I really must eat slower.

So i started to find tiny bits of rubbish, coke, scrap small metal and a musket ball, a real test for my newly-ish aquired Fisher Goldbug pro.
And to be honest after a couple of hours of even more diging, I really was going to call it a day, as daddy duties were calling me back home.

Then there was a really faint signal, nothing that I had not heard before, I thought here we go another bit of crap. So started digging, pinpointer, dig and di, and pinpointer again, until I was right on it, i got my pointing trowel out, and started scraping away, and I really couldnt even be bothere at that, and there it was....a hammered, after a very long dry spell of not finding any at all. I could see it had detail on it as it fell out, wow, really pleased, and made my day. After asking about it, I found out that its John, class 5b1, mint: London, Moneyer: Iohan. 1204-1206.


I was really pleased as a hammered to me was enough, so I crossed into what I now felt was NOT a boring permission, and headed to a slightly hilly part, again full of coke, then I got another faint signal...I dug it out, looked at it and didnt think much as it was gold coloured, so just put it in my pouch, after sending pictures from the muddy field with very damp knees, to a fb page, I started to get loads of notifications, I mean by he hundreds.......It turns out I had found a Viking gold ingot, what I have been told is hack gold or Bronze age gold, ( Yet to be confirmed which by The London Museum )
I am totally over the moon and suggestion says that I will have to class as treasure.

Go home a very happy man.

So I hope you enjoyed this story, from someone who is usually down on their luck but today that changed....finally

IMG_20160313_135828__1457965387_185.69.144.159.webp

IMG_20160313_210909__1457965357_185.69.144.159.webp

IMG_20160313_211523__1457965327_185.69.144.159.webp

rsz_1img_20160316_202731.webp

rsz_1img_20160316_204140.webp

rsz_img_20160316_205247.webp

rsz_img_20160316_205336.webp

rsz_img_20160316_204252.webp
 
Upvote 78
Although a very nice find, how do you put value on something that is at the end of the day scrap gold, proving it to any time context is very hard and as no other Viking age finds were found you can't just say Viking age. Unlike a coin there is no clear period dating evidence (apart from the Medieval coin) and it's value is based on it's scrap gold bullion weight alone. And this is why I would not declare this find as Treasure. :thumbsup:

But welcome to TreasureNet hope to see more finds in the future from you.:thumbsup:

SS
 
Last edited:
Fantastic finds, congratulations!
 
Wow....I can't think of much that's cooler than finding Viking gold. Congrats man. That's pretty damn amazing
 
Hi All. For me it's about the history. And when most of us are diging junk with the odd good find here and there, I wanted to share what I feel is a special fund to me.

Warms my heart to see others that are just purely in love with the history. I can't get enough of learning as much as I can. To dig a few amazing pieces for the collection is truly incredible
 
Although a very nice find, how do you put value on something that is at the end of the day scrap gold, proving it to any time context is very hard and as no other Viking age finds were found you can't just say Viking age. Unlike a coin there is no clear period dating evidence (apart from the Medieval coin) and it's value is based on it's scrap gold bullion weight alone. And this is why I would not declare this find as Treasure. :thumbsup:

But welcome to TreasureNet hope to see more finds in the future from you.:thumbsup:

SS

The Victorian Gold Value Ready Reckoner 1853 pages 89 -104 Portable Furnace for general purpose and The World in it'.s Workshops by James Ward Crystal Palace Exp 1851
TInpan
 
Nice, old gold
 
HOORAY..The Funds Liason Officer at the Museum of London has confirmed that my Gold find is actually Viking Hack Gold. She was very excited when she saw it. I am a very happy man.
 
VERY NICE! I have felt the way you have about a spot and had to tell my self to go slow and really concentrate on those slight but repeatable blurps in the headphones. I will grid a place out like that and hit it hard. Your targets are simply deeper than you thought. Look forward to seeing what else you find there. Has to be more.
 
Wonderful !! Amazing Viking find .

Sure you hammered down a few pints of nectar after that dig ?
 
HOORAY..The Funds Liason Officer at the Museum of London has confirmed that my Gold find is actually Viking Hack Gold. She was very excited when she saw it. I am a very happy man.
Not surprised.
 
Why this is not a banner?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom