Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not exactly breaking news but it’s fun to have a new perspective of who got to America first… besides the natives… I’m not all that old but through my time in school it was always Columbus, I like imagining Vikings more, makes you wonder what impact they had on native cultures, was there a spread of disease? Did they cause the natives to re-evaluate their world view? Religions, construction techniques… maybe some trade goods found in Canada are much older than the finder realizes.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Apparently they established other base camps as well. Imagine, unless establishing an actual settlement, how difficult it would be to find an overnight camp. Talk about needles in a haystack…..

“According to the sagas, the Norse found plenty of fish and game, timber, and pastureland during their explorations of Vinland. They described establishing several base camps—L’Anse aux Meadows appears to have been one—that enabled further explorations of these strange shorelines. Butternuts and butternut tree fragments found at the site suggest they traveled south of Newfoundland, where those species have never grown, but just how far they went remains anyone's guess. Thorfinn and Gudrid’s son Snorri even became the first known European baby born in the Americas”.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It’s not exactly breaking news but it’s fun to have a new perspective of who got to America first… besides the natives… I’m not all that old but through my time in school it was always Columbus, I like imagining Vikings more, makes you wonder what impact they had on native cultures, was there a spread of disease? Did they cause the natives to re-evaluate their world view? Religions, construction techniques… maybe some trade goods found in Canada are much older than the finder realizes.
I have read that the local tribes in my area (N. Ca.) experienced plagues and traditionally retreated from the river to the mountains. Most would come back after winter hit, but some would play it safe and winter in the mountains to stay safe. Who knows where the illnesses came from.

CreakyDigger

Gold Member
Jul 23, 2019
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra v3; Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read that the local tribes in my area (N. Ca.) experienced plagues and traditionally retreated from the river to the mountains. Most would come back after winter hit, but some would play it safe and winter in the mountains to stay safe. Who knows where the illnesses came from.
Nature, maybe?

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has always intrigued me that the iroquoian long houses came into existence about the same time that the Vikings were here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread