Vilano beach shark teeth

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got here a little late in the day..and then got rained on...

ForumRunner_20130711_210914.png

ForumRunner_20130711_211038.png

ForumRunner_20130711_211232.png

.will have more time to hunt tomorrow.
It's a good start for a couple hours.
The odd piece is a flake of Flint... Mabey I'll find a point tomorrow.

Perico

May 29, 2012
Nice teeth! I have been shut down on the gulf coast side from all the rain. All the rivers that I like to hunt are too high.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha.. I actually have my headlamp on right now.
I got a load of teeth and a couple other things..I'll post everything tomorrow.
I got a real nice tiger shark and bull tooth also.

ForumRunner_20130712_223729.png

ForumRunner_20130712_223942.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped counting teeth..just loaded in a Ziploc bag.
Here are the best.

ForumRunner_20130713_135107.png

ForumRunner_20130713_135638.png

ForumRunner_20130713_135713.png

ForumRunner_20130713_135815.png

ForumRunner_20130713_135854.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought I was going to find a projectile point for sure after finding several Flint reduction debris pieces.

ForumRunner_20130713_140158.png

ForumRunner_20130713_140411.png

Hopefully I can get back to that area after a big storm.
I also found some fossil pieces from mammals and reptiles.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, that's awesome! I've only found 1 shark tooth on the beach, and it was tiny.

Check this one out!
I could have probably found fleas when I was really concentrating.

ForumRunner_20130713_142636.png

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Insitu"
Ha.. It was a fun trip.

ForumRunner_20130713_153500.png

ForumRunner_20130713_153638.png

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found somebody as addicted to fossil hunting as I am! You were killing me with the flashlight hunting! LOL been there, done that too! I hunt Fernandina Beach, FL where the teeth and other fossils are very plentiful. While hunting the teeth, I kept seeing jet black heavy pieces of stuff that were very smooth. I threw those back down until a guy showed me his finds and explained those pieces were actually fossils. I started looking a little closer and found fossilized turtle shells and other type bones. I watch the tide schedule and try to beat the crowd first thing before sunrise whenever we stay there on vacation. I metal detect between tides in the evening when the crowd leaves the chair line. Lots of history on the Island and then there's Cumberland Island.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha..I actually had a small headlamp on..my legs and back were so tired after those couple of days! Loved it!
I found other fossils too..alot of broken turtle shell and some pieces of mammal bone.
I did find a whole puffer fish mouth plate.
I found a real nice whale tooth my last time there.

ForumRunner_20130723_184159.png

I live on the Treasure Coast.. I went on low tide today after work and found some broken mammal bones a bunch of turtle shell pieces and one nice deer tooth.
All in about 20 minutes... I'm always hunting something.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130723_184615.png
    ForumRunner_20130723_184615.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 280
Last edited:
OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! Those are the goods!
What are you calling that large vertebrae?
It reminds me of this one I found after Hurricane Sandy.

ForumRunner_20130723_200555.png

Last edited:

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really do not know enough to identify most of this sampling. Do you think it could belong to a horse? Don't know how old it is. I'm thankful for the young man I met on the beach early one morning that was looking for the very things that I was picking up and throwing back down! Theres no telling what kind of things I had in my hands and didn't know it was something quite significant. Horses were brought over to Cumberland Island in early 1800s and are still there in the wild and on the beach. Beach side of Ft Clinch is directly across the inlet from Cumberland. There are jetties projecting from Cumberland that reach out to where the ocean starts. We go to Cumberland by boat or jet ski every summer but never found anything there but really big conks, sand dollars and star fish. I have walked the island near the old Carnegie ruins and cemetery and found some interesting things. Big no no to take artifacts off the island. I took a small hand made brick that was stamped with a number from the steps of the ruins. Long story - short, the bad luck began the minute I tucked in my backpack. The vultures perched on the chimney stacks standing guard still for Old Lucille Carnegie should have been my reminder about the many tragedies of all that lived there that I read about the islands history. I took that dang thing back the next day! Wished I had a video of the days incidents! It's sorta funny now but it wasn't when everything was coming down! Keep hunting and diggn!

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well.. I'm not sure how much you want to learn about all this but the info is out there... there is plenty on the internet to learn all about Florida's history and fossil record.
I would look up Giant ground Sloth and look at the tail verts. With that one I think.
You should take some individual photos of ones you would like ID'd I know most of them ..if not someone will.
This is a great forum.

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I really do not know enough to identify most of this sampling. Do you think it could belong to a horse? Don't know how old it is. I'm thankful for the young man I met on the beach early one morning that was looking for the very things that I was picking up and throwing back down! Theres no telling what kind of things I had in my hands and didn't know it was something quite significant. Horses were brought over to Cumberland Island in early 1800s and are still there in the wild and on the beach. Beach side of Ft Clinch is directly across the inlet from Cumberland. There are jetties projecting from Cumberland that reach out to where the ocean starts. We go to Cumberland by boat or jet ski every summer but never found anything there but really big conks, sand dollars and star fish. I have walked the island near the old Carnegie ruins and cemetery and found some interesting things. Big no no to take artifacts off the island. I took a small hand made brick that was stamped with a number from the steps of the ruins. Long story - short, the bad luck began the minute I tucked in my backpack. The vultures perched on the chimney stacks standing guard still for Old Lucille Carnegie should have been my reminder about the many tragedies of all that lived there that I read about the islands history. I took that dang thing back the next day! Wished I had a video of the days incidents! It's sorta funny now but it wasn't when everything was coming down! Keep hunting and diggn!

That really big vertebrae is defenently whale.

OP
OP
GatorBoy

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He's right.. I blew up the photo and looked closer.
Well... After our posts last night I had fossil hunting on the brain.
Today I went to a stretch of beach that I almost always find mammal fossils... only mammal fossils.
I've walked this beach for the last 30 years..surfing,fishing,fossil hunting..ect.. I've never found a single shark tooth.
To my amazement today.. my eyes focused on what kinda looked like a shark tooth...then.. for a second or two I stared at this and saw serrations.."wow" a bull shark tooth!

ForumRunner_20130724_201648.png

I immediately thought of Vilano beach and how I would usually find several in a small area once I located one... but what were the chances?
I never find shark teeth on this beach.
Not more than five feet away... @#&%!

ForumRunner_20130724_202142.png

It was game on then!!
I wound up with five.

ForumRunner_20130724_202458.png

ForumRunner_20130724_202659.png

It was 94° today with only a light breeze from the west..off the land.
Even my ears are sunburned. LOL.

Clay Fisher2

Jul 20, 2013
Middle GA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds. What is that tubular piece in the last pic? Love the beach glass....of course girls usually do like those kinds of things.....LOL (re: Hey Bro)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread