Sep 9, 2016
NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Forum,

I found this vintage pocket knife today. I’m not sure if it’s a Camilus knife, or a J. A. Henckels (or possibly some other). I’d love to have it refurbished. Does anyone know a company that could do this sort of work? I’d hate to trash it. Thanks for looking!
938793E7-273D-4C32-9F9C-BBBFA35197C3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 8
Thanks for the ID Fat. It’s in rough shape. I’d like to have it rebuilt. Sort of cool, but most likely not worth it.

Fat is way mistaken, no Old Timers had such scales (handle covers), ever. You will never know who made it, there were literally many hundreds of companies making knives before WW2. It will not be worth trying to restore it since you cannot know who made it so new blades will never be correct and you'd need new back springs too. Also don't be surprised if the celluloid scales start to disintegrate with it out of the ground. It is what it is, old pocket knives are one of the most common things we dig but only a few are identifiable and fewer fit for resurrection. Some knives like Case and KA-BAR and even occasionally Schrade will have shields with the company name on them, but many many companies used the "federal" shield like yours so it gives no clue as to the maker. I hate to say it, but I just toss all of the rusted beyond recognition or use knives I dig and that would be close to a hundred of them. Toss all the broken toy cars too, or I'd be up to my neck in things that have no value to anybody.

Last edited:
Thanks gunsil. I might take it apart and see if I can get a makers mark off of it. Most likely going to trash it. Sad, because I really like it.

Ok great, I did just look at the shield. I have a schrade collection. I will see if I can find a few examples.
Can’t does/did it have two blades and one is broke?

Hey, if you like it keep it. Taking a knife apart is not so easy, I think there are some instructions on AAPK, the pocket knife forum. Lots of guys who do restorations there too, but I doubt any would take on a project like that. The rust on yours is so severe I am pretty sure you won't find any legible maker's marks.

Ok great, I did just look at the shield. I have a schrade collection. I will see if I can find a few examples.
Can’t does/did it have two blades and one is broke?

If your Shrade collection does not include pre-WW2 Schrades you will not find any similar other than the fact they are pocket knives, Schrade did not use that pattern of celluloid anyways. Pre-war Schrades are tang marked Schrade Cut Co which was used 1946 and earlier, next generation marked Schrade Walden and later Schrade Plus and Schrade USA.

1913 I think? I post some picks but they will be sideways or even upside down. I have a chart that show.I will looksee tomorrow.

Thanks gunsil. I might take it apart and see if I can get a makers mark off of it. Most likely going to trash it. Sad, because I really like it.

Don't try to take it apart! It'll fall apart on you. Just display it as is--it displays well as an old dug pocket knife. After a while you'll have a dozen of them.

Looks like an Imperial brand badge/medallion.
The square bolster at the hinge end though , I don't see any examples of in a quick check .

Looks like an Imperial brand badge/medallion.
The square bolster at the hinge end though , I don't see any examples of in a quick check .

The "badge/medallion" is called a shield and the one on the OP knife is called a "federal" shield. Federal shields were used by hundreds of knife companies, not just Imperial so one cannot ID a knife by the fact it has a federal shield. Imperial did use a lot of fancy celluloid but so did a lot of companies.

Why throw it away? I threw away a "lot" of stuff in the 70's that I wish I had kept. An old detecting pal put all his old knives in a frame and took it to the flea market. A sweet little blonde gave him a $125 to go in her hubby's man cave!!!

Gunsil has a better answer than I. I have a second hand collection, no doubt he is correct. I have to go looksee and I haven’t yet.

At the least, I spray mine with a rust inhibitor, dry them off, and put them in a display case. I have over 30 Pocket knives in a case, and they look very nice as a display. Are they worth anything ? No, my kids will probably throw them away when I'm gone, but for me, as long as it looks good in a display, then it goes there. For myself, that is part of the hobby. I mean junk is junk and goes into the garbage can. But finding items is why I / we are out there. Everyone has their own right to choose what is junk, and what is an item worth keeping. You may want to think a little before you pitch it. If you continue to hunt for 30 - 50 years longer, my guess is your going to find more knives and you may wish you had them in that display case. Personally, I think it's a neat find.

I'd like to see a picture of your knives. Do share!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back