Virgin Hunt with my Godfather

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Took the Compadre (Godfather) out to a local park for it's first hunt this morning. Dug clad penny's, nicks, quarters @ 5-6" and the discrimination on this tiny machine is the bomb. Found one silver charm (cool pirate face) and my share of tabs until I blocked them.
This is a GREAT little machine, glad I added it to my collection. Thanks Tesoro! HH and GL to all...

Don't block them tabs. I hit a park once with a compadre. I could see someone had been there before me but they obviously were blocking tabs and nickles. I got 12 nickles, 1 dime, 1 penny, 1 quarter, pile of tabs and a GOLD RING.

Don't block them tabs. I hit a park once with a compadre. I could see someone had been there before me but they obviously were blocking tabs and nickles. I got 12 nickles, 1 dime, 1 penny, 1 quarter, pile of tabs and a GOLD RING.

How right you are I/S. I just finished some air tests out in the garage and noticed gold dropped off when the D-knob was set above pull tabs. Think I'll be keeping the D-knob below iron most times.

How right you are I/S. I just finished some air tests out in the garage and noticed gold dropped off when the D-knob was set above pull tabs. Think I'll be keeping the D-knob below iron most times.

Yep, not matter what detector gold rings = digging tabs. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Some places the tabs are just so thick the only option is to move or disc. them out.

Pulled some quarters and dimes up today with the D set at max. Thick pull tab area.

I dig a lot of tabs with my tesoros... The Quattro/safari on the otherhand is one detector that I believe I can positively ID a square tab that falls in the same conductive range as gold and nickels when you switch to a ferrous sound... If the sound is high like a coin but the number on the conductive generated readout is 14-18 you have a square tab... Gold rings and nickels have a low ferrous sound... The only exceptions are broken square tabs that have the lower sound and I dig those.. So why have I not found a gold ring? Well you have to have your coil over one... The Quattro is annoying to run with ferrous sounds all the time tho, and a little cumbersome to switch programs and double check, I wish it just had a toggle switch like my Tejon, a much better machine in iron trash...

Last edited:
In areas with tons of tabs I dig them till I get sick of that, but then I return to my over and over so eventually most get dug to see exactly what they are or what they might be masking.
The same goes with foil, and I always dig all nickel signals and zinc, too.
Most solid signals of all kinds, anyway, the kind that come in solid as I turn the disc knob down to hear them and if they don't make much noise when I get to that "come in" point.

Here are 4 good reasons why I feel I must dig tabs.
After you find a few targets that come in at tabs but aren't, it gets way easier to wrap your head around doing this sort of thing.

Attachments

• tab gold.jpg
    tab gold.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 77

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back