Visited Meteor Crater

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
On the 4th, I visited Meteor Crater. It is my 5th visit so I did not take so many pictures this time.

It now appears the "Bar T Bar" ranch allows hunting and camping. A new switch!
DSC00310.JPG

This is what you will be hunting on the ranch around the crater.
DSC00316.JPG antelope.

You can see the crater before you get there. Here is a view from about 3 miles away.
DSC00311.JPG

A theft came back!
DSC00320.JPG

The crater is too large for just one pic to cover.
DSC00325.JPG DSC00327.JPG (almost did that right!)

BEWARE intentional fraud! Read where the Indian basket was made.
DSC00334.JPG

These arrowheads were recently made as the USA antiquities laws do not allow selling of old arrowheads anymore.
DSC00335.JPG

Would I go another time? Probably.... nice place to visit. ╦╦Ç

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by there one time long ago. I think I was the only visitor, as it was like in December with with a pretty cold wind blowing across that massive hole. I don't think photographs can do justice to how it looks in person. It's rather unbelievable the scale of it all. I've never sold the arrowheads I've collected. I will trade or give them as a gift. I made an agreement with the spirits who lead me to them I will never seek them for monetary gain. Hopefully they're good with me and not allow any complications to come along and mess with my mojo :)

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I took a blonde there once. After seeing the crater she turned to me and said, "Can you believe how lucky they are it missed the road and visitor center?!"

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a blonde there once. After seeing the crater she turned to me and said, "Can you believe how lucky they are it missed the road and visitor center?!"
I used to love girls like that, regardless of what my mother would tell me.

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
:laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:......I know a guy that was visiting the Alamo, and overheard a blonde say " I wonder why they built it in the city. "

ronwoodcraft

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2007
Idaho
Great job putting the two pics together.I never knew it was that big..I've passed by on the freeway many times, but have never been able to stop....That basket reminded me of some very ornate Navajo Indian dolls I looked at in a Navajo gift shop in New Mexico. I looked at the back and found a label that said " Made in China. "

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went there when I was about 16, circa 1963. Took a big canteen and went down to the bottom and walked around looking for meteorite pieces, found none, but what did I know? Was in August and the gallon of water only lasted a couple hours. There was a life size silhouette target of a cowboy made out of thick boilerplate steel down there with a lot of dents from slugs on it. Went back two winters past, I really like looking at that crater.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
These arrowheads were recently made as the USA antiquities laws do not allow selling of old arrowheads anymore.

View attachment 1629512

This is very interesting. I didn't know that. At two locations recently - yard sale types - in the last couple of months, there were arrow heads for sale. I didn't buy any, one dude put a hard sale on me, but senses told me not to trust him.

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"But Mama, That's where the fun is!" They're lots of fun at that age! I've visited the eastern Cherokee res many times to fish trout. I think there must be a wholesale store in China where they all buy the "Native Goods". I'm so glad I'm Swiss. Our native goods are yellow and shinny!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread