TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I SAW THE ARTICLE IN WESTERN & EASTERN TREASURES AND WANT ANYONES / EVERYONES OPINION TO SEE WHAT YOU ALL THINK.
I ALSO WANT TO KNOW IF ANYONE ON THIS FORUM, CAN HONESTLY SAY THEY HAVE DUG
40,000 +/- COINS (ONLY) IN ANY GIVEN YEAR... WITHIN THE LAST 5 YEARS..
OR 400 - 500 COINS IN ANY GIVEN 1 DAY HUNT AND YOUR EXPERIENCE BEHIND THIS..
(SORRY OLDTIMERS STARTING IN THE 60-70 DO NOT COUNT)

Upvote 0

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
I, too, read the article and must say those are some very impressive numbers. I personally can't say that I have ever found anything near the numbers claimed in the article. I can't dispute the claim, but if indeed he is meeting with that kind of success then I am definately in need of some tutoring. He would have to come here to my home turf though since this is where I do my detecting. HH.

OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ONLY 1 TIME DID ME & MY EX DIG MORE THAN 500 COINS.
IT WAS ON A BEACH IN THE WINTER AT A PLACE THAT SAW LITTLE OR NO OTHER MD TRAFIC.
THE SURF WASHED UP COINS ALL OVER THE PLACE. (IT WAS IN SPAIN)
WE DUG FOR OVER 5 HOURS AND THE COINS WERE EVERYWHERE, AS SOON AS YOU SWUNG
YOUR COIL YOU GOT ANOTHER SIGNAL, WE ONLY DUG 3-4 PULLTABS ALL DAY, AND WE WERE
USING REGULAR SHOVELS NOT HAND DIGGERS.
OTHER TIMES I'VE DUG A LOT... NEVER IN THAT AMOUNT, WERE BALLFIELDS OVERLOOKED BY OTHERS, AND BY THE END OF THE DAY I WAS SO SORE I COULD HARDLY MOVE....

IT SAYS HE DUG OVER 2000 COINS A MONTH....
I THINK IF I DUG THAT MANY HOLES WITH MY DIGGER, NOT TO MENTION ALL THE TRASH (HE SEEMS TO HAVE BEEN DIGGING EVERY TARGET) ............ I THINK I WOULD BE DEAD.... MY BODY JUST GIVE OUT.. :D

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Volume clad? How about volume pre-1900 coins? My best is 24 in one hunt where sidewalks were removed. Spots I hunt i get very few modern.

OnionRings

Dec 15, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I didn't keep track of the coin count dug each day but this year at one time I did count 8,000 pennies
Total clad count last year was 1125.00 If I had to guess at the coin count it would have been about 25 to 30 thousand.

I only detect for clad and jewerly 4 inches and up todays coin count was 74 coins in two hours . This is an okay day in my book, there's three inches of snow on the ground so today under these conditions it was a great day

Onion

Attachments

• coin count.jpg
    coin count.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 354
  • coin count.jpg
    coin count.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 363
OP
OP
TORRERO

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
onionhead said:
I didn't keep track of the coin count dug each day but this year at one time I did count 8,000 pennies
Total clad count last year was 1125.00 If I had to guess at the coin count it would have been about 25 to 30 thousand.

I only detect for clad and jewerly 4 inches and up todays coin count was 74 coins in two hours . This is an okay day in my book, there's three inches of snow on the ground so today under these conditions it was a great day

Onion

That's amazing can you tell me where you are hunting, because down here in Charlotte NC me and my wife
have been to 20-30 different high schools - middle schools - elementary schools playgrounds
churches, community centers, anyplace I think I might find something and generally we around here
we almost don't find enough to buy sodas.. where do you look ?

D

Darod

Onion

Onion,

Could you tell me what detector your using?

Rod

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The most I ever found in one day was 91 and only one turned out to be silver....a 64 Rosie. That was in 5 1/2 hrs at an old abandoned house in an area of about 20ft x30ft. It was in back of the house on each side of a concrete walk coming from the back door. It was like the people that lived there just threw money out.

Talk about being sore! It was muddy as all get out from raining the prior 3 days and I didnt kneel down to dig.....just squatted. My legs hurt me for 3 days.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
My first season i dug 5,000 coins easy, i had a joint replacement on my foot, that started me detecting. I didn't want to sit around 3 months. But i remember reading a article in one of my old detecting magazines where this guy reached the 100,000 coin total but that had to be life time.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
My first year hardcore hunting was over ten years ago. I wanted to just load up. Hit every playground. Myt job allowed me to work a lot of carnie sites before getting in on Monday mornings. At one carnival I found a line of change spilled by a ride that was being towed away. It was almost 20' long and 3" wide. At another I had to return to my car 4 times to empty my pouches (large pouches too) and yet another where I found almost 20.00 dimes in less than a half hour. That year I gave each of our daughters almost 1000 bucks in change for their bank accounts for Christmas and yes, it was a 50,000+ coin year. I really have not been able to duplicate that year yet and have tried. Nowadays I do not count coinage, just time.

But of course I have outdone that year hands down in old coinage. There's the tradeoff, quality vs. quantity of finds. the mroe time I spend at old sites with the intermittent keeper the less time I can swing by every clad drop zone in the area on a regualr basis. I will say a couple years back my youngest and I went to the North Avenue Beach and found enough in quarters that day to spend the afternoon eating and taking rides at Navy Pier. Don't know how much we got, but when getting on the Sea Dog boat ride and paying the guy in quarters he looked really p.o.ed! But he took it! The food concessions were also a blast. That was our biggest payday at NAB and it was huge, usually get a fraction of that. We were just finding hole after hole of multiple coin drops and especially quarter drops. Of course, here in Chicagoland there can be a huge return if you can cover all the carnies, fairs and fests but that means being at each one early a.m. Monday morn and have a quick route to the next one. The 5th of July has always been one of my favorite days.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TORRERO - B.S. IMO. You got to remember that some of the stories you read in TH'ing mags are just pure fiction by people who couldn't tell the truth if it saved them from death. You can no more believe everything you see in these mags. then you can believe every post you see on the Net.

B.S. artists are B.S. artists - they can't help themselves. And these mags don't make sure these stories are true. They just want fresh stories to print. Some of it is just pure entertainment.

They should hand out T-shirts to some of these people...
'early to bed, early to rise
hunt all day and tell fat lies'.
:D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Not only did I read the article but I just so happen to know Lloyd - he lives about 25 mi. E of me and he gets out every single day that he can since he's retired. You wound't believe how much stuff he's found. That Bigfoot coil sure does the job if used right. HH and good luck!

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I still prefer the old ones to the clad. A couple of oldies found on a hunt is good enough for me. Quite a few times this year i'd get home and look them up and they turn out to be valuable.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey O7, they old guy in the article is not trying to sell anything, he has no reason to lie and the mag does try to vet every story it prints. It's W&ET, not the New York Times for crying out loud. Now I have seen works of pure fiction in every other treasure mag I've read, but I cannot say that I have ever seen a single article in W&ET that looked fabricated.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
stoney56 - wow what a coincidence.. within minutes of my after midnight post, a guy 25 mi. E of our volume hunter, that actually know him, posts right after me. Imagine those odds!

Lowbatts - I stand by my opinion. Read both National publications on Th'ing, and although W&ET is probably the most reliable - it is impossible for them to verify such a story unless they spent a year in the field with him. Anyone can produce a horde of coins from a coin store, a pre-existing coin collection, a friend's coin collection, or just get pics off the Net etc. You can't say that anyone has 'no reason to lie'. I don't believe it and that my prerogative. My opinion - nothing more and nothing less.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well O7 you know I've been around for awhile and I've done better than his story, but that was once and have been far from duplicating it since. But having been there, done that, I know it's not only possible, it's been done by more than a few folks out there. Don't know where you live exactly but I know it's near enough to population centers so that you too could do it if you followed the right hunting routines. Since you hunt out the old sites as well as the newer you do take away from the possibility of recovering larger qtys. of clad.

As to your implication in your respone to Stony, c'mon now. Next thing we're gonna hear is "You been served." & "Ahh, it's ON!"

Let's just ask everyone on the board if they would like to keep a one year record and let us all know at year's end how they've done. I already exclude myself, I'm not hunting like that anymore. While I still do TOO's and have a clad cicuit I follow I'm spending more time doing homework and pursuing the "Big 1"

I'll bet we can find a few members who can break the 50k coin mark this year. Any takers?

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
I just wanted to add this about anyone having anything to gain by such a story, Has anybody that doubts the story, ever done an article for a magazine? It's alot of work, alot of hours, Pictures have to be in Tiff format, and useable. Guess how much you get paid? I'll do not believe i'll do another.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread