waist to neck deep hunting

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone secure their scoop with a line to the weightbelt. carrying it when the tide changes is can be a p.i.t.a. and when I'm using the Dual Field with the stupid buoyant coil it can quickly become not an enjoyable time. I decided not to submerge the pod on the Nox because the next time it drowns it's on me. I would like to think Minelab would figure out why some but not all Nox fail when submerged. If I could be reassured that a replacement pod is different than the original and positively waterproof only then would I feel confident to use it in the water. Bummer!

Upvote 6

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I did for many years after I saw a Miller Scoop get swept out to sea. Now that I have a Titanium scoop, I do not tie it to me as the handle floats. If it did not float, I would have it attached to my belt to prevent it getting lost or having to juggle to pick it up off the ocean's floor.

djqix

Feb 9, 2019
Phillipsburg, Warren County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Nokta PulseDive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do a lot of river hunting in fast currents and I clip my scoop onto my belt with a carabiner through one of the scoop holes when I'm not using it.
The only drawback, though not a huge thing if nothing else is around you is the carabiner clipping onto things. All of my tech diving instructors called them suicide clips, even the locking gate kind. We had to use either bolt snaps, or lobster claw type clips.

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the cheap aluminum ones that I constantly dig up in the parks. They aren't strong enough to cause any problems but they keep your gear from floating away just fine.
The only drawback, though not a huge thing if nothing else is around you is the carabiner clipping onto things. All of my tech diving instructors called them suicide clips, even the locking gate kind. We had to use either bolt snaps, or lobster claw

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
When I first started detecting at the ocean, I had a SS hand scoop I bought new for 50 bucks set it down to feel around in the hole before I could grab it a wave wash it out to sea still haven't seen that scoop. so yes, a lanyard is a must but one you can break away from if need be you don't want your scoop to drowned you

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Does anyone secure their scoop with a line to the weightbelt. carrying it when the tide changes is can be a p.i.t.a. and when I'm using the Dual Field with the stupid buoyant coil it can quickly become not an enjoyable time. I decided not to submerge the pod on the Nox because the next time it drowns it's on me. I would like to think Minelab would figure out why some but not all Nox fail when submerged. If I could be reassured that a replacement pod is different than the original and positively waterproof only then would I feel confident to use it in the water. Bummer!
truth be told I have water hunted the total of once but it was just last week and I kept wishing I had secured my scoop to my belt, i was in a freshwater lake swim area and every time i wanted to set it down to hand fan i had to worry about losing it...just learning the ropes water hunting is different for sure (did find two blinger rings though so am stoked about it)

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
truth be told I have water hunted the total of once but it was just last week and I kept wishing I had secured my scoop to my belt, i was in a freshwater lake swim area and every time i wanted to set it down to hand fan i had to worry about losing it...just learning the ropes water hunting is different for sure (did find two blinger rings though so am stoked about it)
Bling is what we after & nice coins

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It is dangerous to tie a heavy scoop to yourself while water hunting in rivers and the ocean. You're walking along then suddenly drop in a hole deeper than you are tall and your f*****.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't tie the scoop to me in the ocean. I like to keep a hand on it at all times. If you don't have a hand on it when a wave hits, it can bang into your legs.....learned that lesson the hard (and painful) way years ago!

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of my hunting is in calmer waters in the Bay, Ever spot is different and requires a different strategy based on the conditions and needs. My scoop is hooked (with brass marine hook) to my finds pouch which goes over one shoulder and down my side, and the finds pouch rest on my upper chest. On the pouch strap I have, on my back a rope and another hook which I connect my sifter too. Amazing but all rarely gets in the way with all the ropes and...brass connectors.
20220912_115757.jpg
20220912_115229.jpg
images.jpg

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bling is what we after & nice coins
thanks for words of encouragement!...definitely have to dig a lot of holes to get a gold or silver ring seems to me about 1 ring per 100 pulltabs and maybe 1 precious ring per 10 rings dug or something like that, worth it though fun stuff for sure

Rhapsody

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2022
North American Continent
Detector(s) used
Nokta Anfibio
Nokta Legend
Human Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most of my hunting is in calmer waters in the Bay, Ever spot is different and requires a different strategy based on the conditions and needs. My scoop is hooked (with brass marine hook) to my finds pouch which goes over one shoulder and down my side, and the finds pouch rest on my upper chest. On the pouch strap I have, on my back a rope and another hook which I connect my sifter too. Amazing but all rarely gets in the way with all the ropes and...brass connectors. View attachment 2046152 View attachment 2046153 View attachment 2046154

nice info thanks for sharing, my float rig is just a gold classifier with floaties ziptied to it...works good tho...love that scoop mines so small but I'll upgrade as I get more experience with water hunting

Reactions: OBN

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions