GREAT THREAD !
Jeff why the heck don't we have a BANNER for TN's greatest threads?
Anyway, oh ya...Dollar stores rock! Not all "dollar stores" are "dollar stores." One branch actually is but I forget the name it goes under just now.
Basically a dollar store sells us that Chinese crap we all love (don't deny it) for only a 300 to 1000 percent markup (cheap!). Wally World (and all the other Wally type stores) is really hurting. I knew this a long time ago from inside info. If this new strategy for Wally doesn't work, they're toast.
By the way, it's not just the dollar stores killing them and others like them. Amazon.com, ebay, and other new online "super stores" are killing all the big overhead realtime stores. The world has shifted to online shopping. Today I buy 80% of my toys online (and I buy a lot of toys).
Case in point, my printer retails for about $250. A recent sale at Office Max had it for about $170. I got it off Amazon.com for $87 and FREE shipping! I've had it for months now and it's awesome. And it came will full ink cartrages (cartrages alone cost over $100 at Wallmart).
What really cracks me up is when I find dollar store stuff in Goodwill for more than it sells at the dollar store.
As for the economy, I'm 63 and have witnessed dooms day on the horizon for most of my life. Back in the late 50's they talked about cooling the center of the earth because we'd soon burn up. Along with that, the Russians would soon nuke us so we all built fallout shelters. In the Nam 70's the end was near again. We all bought Mother Earth News subscriptions and made our own grain fuel (white lightning). Now that at least was a good idea.
Today they're are so many RVs on our highways the traffic is dooms day all on it's own. Most poor folks I know have a Wii and Blackberry. They buy their food with a welfare Bridge Card.
To sum up the economy and the mindset of this present world, watch the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop."
I think I've had too much home made fuel!