Want to buy a MD for my 12 year old son - what do i get??

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He might lose interest now but might surprise you and start back after he gets a little older....My son didn't want anything to do with it until he reached age 20....Now he loves it...Keeps the old man busy chasing after him about every other weekend..lol I agree on the Ace 250...$212 or so new and see some from time to time on ebay for a little less. They do hold their value pretty well so if you did sell it later you wouldn't lose much on the deal. I love mine..HH

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I have never used the ACE line of detectors, but have heard great things about them. I started with a Tesoro Compadre and I still use it. I love it. Very simple to use and adjustable pole for my 4 little neices. They love it. Hope it helps.

Chester Copper Pot

Apr 16, 2005
WI
Detector(s) used
Whites Idx Pro
Whites Prizm line is a goods place to start. I bought a Prizm II for my boy who is 9 but my nephew who is 7 gets more use out of it. It has found silver and has easy pinpointing.

B

BIG61AL

Only four name you needs to know

3 to buy - whites, garretts and minelab

1 to avoid at all costs - bounty hunter

OP
OP
sqzdog

sqzdog

Dec 28, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, White's TDI
Thank you to everyone that offered their advice. I think I am going to get him and Ace 250. That way, I can try to get my wife into it too and she can use that. I have an XLT E-Series and a Blue & Gray.

W

Wally

Good choice, i have the 250 as a backup and keep it in the back of my truck just in case a pass a field that looks good, and a very easy machine to use if i take any newbies out. it is simple but you can still do some fine tuning. also sunray now makes a probe for it too.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a 12 year old, I'd first check my local Radio Shack or Super Walmart - they normally carry inexpensive detectors for under $100.00. Not much resale value in those models, but on the other hand, not much invested either! ;D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would buy a good one, if and when he loses interest it would be "my" backup.

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
I would agree also on buying a decent detector.If you want your son to be interested in the hobby,buy a detector that will enable him to locate, and also if he is not interested this would give you a back up, plus if you have a friend that is interested in the hobby you could let him use it with you,Alot of people talk highly about the ace 250.Your going to spend around 225 depending what and where you purchase.What type of detector do you currently use,and type of location do you detect,has a great bearing on the decision you choose,Good Luck.Also TonyinCT would be a good starting point,Ronald99

AgileMJOLNIR

Apr 3, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
The Ace 250 or even 150 is an excellent choice but if $200 is pushing it then just go to your local Radio Shack. Thats where I started years ago and I found stuff in my own front yard. The Radio Shack detectors are basically the Bounty Hunters with different markings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread