Wanted to introduce myself and see if theres anyone in the St. Augustine area

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to introduce myself and see if there's anyone in the St. Augustine area

Hi all,

I am new here and wanted to introduce myself. I'm in my mid 20's but not new to the world of MDing and digging. My father used to take me out to beaches and events fields in Sebastian, FL when I was just 6 or 7 years old. While we didn't find too much, I always enjoyed it.

I now live in St. Augustine, FL and am heavily considering buying a MD to search the beaches here, or anywhere nearby like Crescent Beach and Flagler (I know you can't search St. Augustine itself, but I've read the beaches are OK?). If anyone's in this area and wants to meet up, let me know. Would love to make some new friends :hello2:

EDIT: I meant to also say that I got my SCUBA cert over 10 years ago and am an avid diver. I'd LOVE to do some dive hunting as well.

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
Hello, I live in St. Petersburg. Not close but in the same state. If you are a certified diver then I would think you would want a detector that is waterproof and can go under water. Tesoro, Whites, Fisher and most of the other brands make a Pulse Induction detector for the beach, surf and underwater. It depends on what you want to do. From my experience the most valuable stuff is in the water. Swimmers lose rings, necklaces, watches and who knows what else in 3or4' of water all the time. The beach is mostly trash. Anyway I like to look for gold nuggets in the west and am waiting for my new Gold Bug DP to come in. I figure if it's tuned for gold then it should work for me on the beach. Most things not gold aren't worth the time. My opinion. Good luck

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'd love to do some underwater hunting, honestly. I wasn't sure the best way to do this though. The majority of jewelry, as you said, will be right in that area where most people swim. I don't see myself just walking onto the beach with dive gear and going under, especially with all of the waves. Is this what everyone does? Taking a boat out past the waves seems too far, however. Sorry, I'm obviously new to this.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'd love to do some underwater hunting, honestly. I wasn't sure the best way to do this though. The majority of jewelry, as you said, will be right in that area where most people swim. I don't see myself just walking onto the beach with dive gear and going under, especially with all of the waves. Is this what everyone does? Taking a boat out past the waves seems too far, however. Sorry, I'm obviously new to this.

just walk on out there, you obviously don't need to dive. Just get a long handled scoop and hunt waist deep or so. I live in Jacksonville, you can't hunt in the water around Anastasia beach, or in the water near Ft Matanzas, but everywhere else should be ok as long as it isn't by state/fed park.

I haven't hunted in the water yet, but I will be this summer because it's already getting to hot to hunt on the land.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennsylvania.gif
Welcome aboard from the great state of Pennsylvania (USA)!
reading_01.gif
You might consider browsing Sub-Forums: Florida for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state.

OP
OP
E

EMTFlorida

May 18, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

Gsxr - thanks for the info. You can still hunt on the beach though, right? Just not in the water? What if you're diving from a boat? Is that acceptable?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread