What's new

War of 1812 button ?

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2009
Messages
2,603
Reaction score
806
Golden Thread
2
Location
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button yesterday under a huge oak tree it was in such ruff shape I didn't pay much attention to it until I saw a similar one in today's finds. Mine is a little different the eagle looks different and mine says TRES on the bottom front. Any info would be great thanks.
 

Attachments

  • Picture 237.webp
    Picture 237.webp
    35.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Picture 240.webp
    Picture 240.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 279
  • Picture 241.webp
    Picture 241.webp
    47.1 KB · Views: 301
great button! I think what you are actually reading is 1REGt below the cannon, which is first regiment. It's tough to identify the variety exactly, but you seem to have a button dating from 1802-1808.
 
Upvote 0
johnnyi said:
great button! I think what you are actually reading is 1REGt below the cannon, which is first regiment. It's tough to identify the variety exactly, but you seem to have a button dating from 1802-1808.
Thanks johnnyi but Im pretty sure it says TRES look in the pic with the penny under the line on the front. :dontknow: You are right thanks :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
I agree with John that it is most likely a 1 that you think is a T, it is 1 REGT or 1 REGt, does not matter, it is a 1st Regiment button though. No other words or numbers would make sense. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :tongue3:

Don
 
Upvote 0
Don in SJ said:
I agree with John that it is most likely a 1 that you think is a T, it is 1 REGT or 1 REGt, does not matter, it is a 1st Regiment button though. No other words or numbers would make sense. :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :tongue3:

Don
Yes I agree after a closer look. Thanks johnnyi :notworthy: Can anyone show me a pic Ive seen a few examples but on mine the eagle looks like he is sitting more to the left then being centered. Thanks.
 
Upvote 0
sscinder, I can't see the eagle , but I think the only one that would match your's (ten cannon balls, 1 regt, round wheel) would be Albert 12A which is the first listed example of the 1rst regiment button. (1802-08)
 
Upvote 0
sscindercoop said:
Found this button yesterday under a huge oak tree it was in such ruff shape I didn't pay much attention to it until I saw a similar one in today's finds. Mine is a little different the eagle looks different and mine says TRES on the bottom front. Any info would be great thanks.
Thanks johnnyi :headbang:
 
Upvote 0
sscinder, thanks, but thank PBK for keeping me on my toes! More than once he's "corrected me" on an i.d. in the most diplomatic way possible with such phrases as "well it might be that but..." ha! ha! ha! We need him in government!! Anyway, thank PBK, not me. :)
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom