Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

It has been nearly two years since I have detected this site which we have had great success at finding a number of early military buttons , musket balls , iron pieces ,cannon balls and what have you from the War of 1812....Today I decided to go back and give it another shot ...Well with all the luck they are doing construction again in an area not far from the places I hunted in the past....With getting permission form the construction workers off I went and again just like years past musket ball within minutes , this place is a gold mine when detecting for these kinds of items With the ground dozed and about 1 to 2 feet of earth removed this is all you could ask for and again another great hit this time a 41 regiment of foot British military button and then another and another ...3 buttons all in the same 5 feet of each other....This is bringing back memories.

So as I keep going now we have more musket balls and then a large hit down about a foot so with the dirt removed already and about 12 inches down i pull out a large iron piece with a round side , This has to be a fragment from a very large cannon shot maybe a 60 pounder or more...I believe some of the early British ships were able to used such huge artillery. Now I just have to keep going. Taking the day off was not my intentions today but since I have such busy days for the last month I decided to get away from it all....and it has paid off . With a little luck and good timing this is the right time to be here....So as I carried on I found another button this one a 6th regiment and it looks to be silver plated I have found similar buttons in the past not far from this area.

So now with it almost 4:30 and about time to get going I decided to run in all metal mode , maybe get lucky and find a nice cannon ball but instead I found something better , an actual shovel used for trenching an old spade shovel...Could this be a shovel which was used for digging trenches just under 200 years ago....I 'm sure this could be one, so now as I pulled in my drive way I decided to clean off the mud out side since it rained last night for the first time in a month and just hose
off the finds to keep mud out of my kitchen sink....Yea I did say that right, cleaning finds in the kitchen sink....but not today ! So after all that tough digging 13 musket balls (two that look like someone was having them for dinner) 1 with the nub still attached, 7 buttons (3- 41st regiment,2- 6th regiment and 2 plain pewter) 1 piece of grape shot, copper rivits, 1 shovel and an iron piece of military artillery....I think blowing the day off of work was well worth it.....need that piece of mind!!!! Take care and HH !!!!!

Attachments

• War of 1812 site 5-11-06 Medium Web view.jpg
    War of 1812 site 5-11-06 Medium Web view.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 877
  • war of 1812 site 5-11-05 Medium Web view.jpg
    war of 1812 site 5-11-05 Medium Web view.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 950
  • war of 1812 site Medium Web view.jpg
    war of 1812 site Medium Web view.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 852
  • war of 1812 site 06 Medium Web view.jpg
    war of 1812 site 06 Medium Web view.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 859
  • war of 1812 site 2006 Medium Web view.jpg
    war of 1812 site 2006 Medium Web view.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 857
Upvote 0

comfyinvermont

Bronze Member
Feb 8, 2004
Vermont
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Fantastic seeker. Absolutely love those buttons. Not a whole lot of Revolutionary war stuff here in Vermont. Congrats....Lance

BjC

Mar 1, 2006
In Your Backyard

Awesome finds Seeker! I live not too far from where your at. :)

jon43

Jan 18, 2006
owensboro , ky

i can only dream of hunting them kind of sites :o nice finds :)

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.

SEEK, Very Nice Relics, Congrats On The Excellant Finds. trk5capt...

Attachments

• JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 922
  • JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    JOHNS DETECTING PICS 132.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 902

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hey Seeker...just tuned in and this one caught my eye first and foremost,those are some great piece's in my mind.Nothing but American history you found...I Love it,Great find's,clean those puppy's up and part II it.Very nice job.Congrat's and HH!!.....

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan

Congrats on being in the right place at the right time.
Fantastic and intersting finds. Love the buttons! Thanks!

Smiles!
BDoo

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Seek, So glad you had a good day off. Those buttons are fantastic! :o

Nice story, too. :)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great bit of history and congrats on your find.run redcoats run lol

tinpan

pgill

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2005
Northampton, UK
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Sabre II / Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I love the buttons, looking at them I think you have got a big cleaning job on your hands.

God bless
Peter

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

1812...my favorite! Sounds like taking the day off is just what you needed...and we benefit from it too ,by getting to see your great finds! Heck...take the week off!
Those buttons are excellent! Nice photos! But finding that shovel is the best part.
When you hunt these sites,can you time-frame the battle that was in this area? I just love the history end of it. Thanks for always sharing your great finds with this forum! :)

Dave N Japan

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2006
Japan
Detector(s) used
CZ-3D, CZ-20,CZ-21, F-75 LTD, AT Pro, F-44
Fisher Impulse 8 and 10,
GTA 750 CTX (new)
ADS Master Hunter 7 (Retired)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Yes, very nice seeker, I love that old stuff and think about the people associated with them..People that had no idea of planes,cars, electricity etc... Way to go... Hope you will be able to find some more neat stuff!

OP
OP
The Seeker

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gypsyheart said:
1812...my favorite! Sounds like taking the day off is just what you needed...and we benefit from it too ,by getting to see your great finds! Heck...take the week off!
Those buttons are excellent! Nice photos! But finding that shovel is the best part.
When you hunt these sites,can you time-frame the battle that was in this area? I just love the history end of it. Thanks for always sharing your great finds with this forum! :)
The British attack came in the very early hours of December 30. Over 1,000 men, in two divisions, crossed the river quickly and silently. The main force, under Maj. Gen. Phineas Riall, landed close to what is now the foot of Amherst Street. It easily brushed aside American cavalry patrols and captured one of the artillery batteries which was supposed to protect Buffalo from just such an attack. The second division moved directly against the Village of Black Rock.

News of the British landings reached Gen. Hall very quickly. Convinced that the main attack was against Black Rock, he marched virtually his whole force to that point.

But, even before he cleared Buffalo, he was fighting a losing battle. His militia force, poorly trained and at the best of times hesitant, viewed with very little favor the prospect of a night battle against British regulars and Indians, whose war cries they could already hear. In ones and twos and then in dozens they slipped off into the darkness.

By the time he reached Black Rock, Hall had barely 600 men. They bravely engaged the British force, then still in the process of landing, but when Riall mounted an attack on their flank they broke and fled in complete rout.

The British paused a moment to set fire to the Village of Black Rock and then turned to the open road to Buffalo.

The attack on Buffalo
Here you go Gypsy ....I hope some of this information will tell you about the area I'm hunting....I grew up in this area and know for a long time what was laying under my feet years ago.....When I got a call that some construction was going on I knew there may be that chance of finding some nice finds......! Telling a short story when i lived in Black rock many years ago my brother was digging post holes in the back yard to put a fence in and when doing so was finding large cents and about 2 feet down found a sword in the hole and thought it was just metal but later we know what it was....and my next door neighbor was putting in a new driveway and when digging down to pour the concrete the workers found a number of old coins including silver....I was very young but remember the day....But at that time was not into detecting or even knew what one was till years later.....But I still know where that area is and someday will return to that site also.......Hope this helps with the History of this very old and Historic area! Seeker

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks

Now thats what I am talking about!!!! The history behind the finds! This stuff is great and thanks for taking the time to share it! It makes everything come alive .....Good Story Seek....Do you guys still have that sword? I am surprised tho...I thought you were born with a detector in your hand.....or at least teethed on one! ;) :-*

Z

ZumbroKid

Nice to see there are still posters who post threads on actual detecting related stuff.

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.

Love the buttons! Thanks for the history too! Great hunting site to have available to you.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

S,

very nice artifacts, bit of history.
Outstanding.

have a good un............

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast

nice relics. but do you ever wonder if maybe one of the musket balls hit the intended target?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread