What's new

War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
2,492
Reaction score
79
Golden Thread
0
Location
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

It has been nearly two years since I have detected this site which we have had great success at finding a number of early military buttons , musket balls , iron pieces ,cannon balls and what have you from the War of 1812....Today I decided to go back and give it another shot ...Well with all the luck they are doing construction again in an area not far from the places I hunted in the past....With getting permission form the construction workers off I went and again just like years past musket ball within minutes , this place is a gold mine when detecting for these kinds of items With the ground dozed and about 1 to 2 feet of earth removed this is all you could ask for and again another great hit this time a 41 regiment of foot British military button and then another and another ...3 buttons all in the same 5 feet of each other....This is bringing back memories.

So as I keep going now we have more musket balls and then a large hit down about a foot so with the dirt removed already and about 12 inches down i pull out a large iron piece with a round side , This has to be a fragment from a very large cannon shot maybe a 60 pounder or more...I believe some of the early British ships were able to used such huge artillery. Now I just have to keep going. Taking the day off was not my intentions today but since I have such busy days for the last month I decided to get away from it all....and it has paid off . With a little luck and good timing this is the right time to be here....So as I carried on I found another button this one a 6th regiment and it looks to be silver plated I have found similar buttons in the past not far from this area.

So now with it almost 4:30 and about time to get going I decided to run in all metal mode , maybe get lucky and find a nice cannon ball but instead I found something better , an actual shovel used for trenching an old spade shovel...Could this be a shovel which was used for digging trenches just under 200 years ago....I 'm sure this could be one, so now as I pulled in my drive way I decided to clean off the mud out side since it rained last night for the first time in a month and just hose
off the finds to keep mud out of my kitchen sink....Yea I did say that right, cleaning finds in the kitchen sink....but not today ! So after all that tough digging 13 musket balls (two that look like someone was having them for dinner) 1 with the nub still attached, 7 buttons (3- 41st regiment,2- 6th regiment and 2 plain pewter) 1 piece of grape shot, copper rivits, 1 shovel and an iron piece of military artillery....I think blowing the day off of work was well worth it.....need that piece of mind!!!! Take care and HH !!!!!
 

Attachments

  • War of 1812 site 5-11-06 Medium Web view.webp
    War of 1812 site 5-11-06 Medium Web view.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 936
  • war of 1812 site 5-11-05 Medium Web view.webp
    war of 1812 site 5-11-05 Medium Web view.webp
    56.3 KB · Views: 996
  • war of 1812 site Medium Web view.webp
    war of 1812 site Medium Web view.webp
    43.7 KB · Views: 908
  • war of 1812 site 06 Medium Web view.webp
    war of 1812 site 06 Medium Web view.webp
    51.3 KB · Views: 908
  • war of 1812 site 2006 Medium Web view.webp
    war of 1812 site 2006 Medium Web view.webp
    33 KB · Views: 909
Upvote 0
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Great relics, WTG, HH Art...
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

great relics, and the history behind it! outstanding thanks seek

ice
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Wow !!! That stuff is out standing. Keep hiting the area hard ,wish I could tag along .That would be a dream site. Thanks for sharing.
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Awsome relics Seeker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Love those buttons!!!
Vern
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

hio Seeker; Can't be sure on the tooth marked balls, but many times in batte, or later in surgery, they were given the lead balls to bite on to endure the pain. nice huh?

Till Eulespeigle de La Mancha
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Great, Great finds Seeker. As you know I also hunt a War of 1812 site here in Ohio. I have found
many buttons, but none of them with any markings on them. Mostly on the front they are just
flat buttons. They do have writing on the back. I did find a Monday Thursday Coin at the site
and a Two Bit piece. Have found hundreds of bullets, many of them dropped and many shot.

As for General Hall, I think he was a Chicken Sh_t. He failed to fight the battle when he
had all the odds in his favor. He waited so long that many of his men deserted him
and went back home. Many of his generals were killed, because General Hall wouldn't stand
and fight when he could have won easily.

Thanks for the great posts, would love to come and hunt that site with you someday.

HH, Ringfinder, Also Relic Hunter!
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Thanks for all the great posts and comments....will try to get back to the site this weekend before the construction is complete and unable to get in and Detect... so thanks again for the kind words! The Seeker
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

The Seeker said:
Thanks for all the great posts and comments....will try to get back to the site this weekend before the construction is complete and unable to get in and Detect... so thanks again for the kind words! The Seeker
Here you go Tim ! construction has started unable to go back in!
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Very nice finds. I like the buttons.
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

Seeker, don't you just HATE it when that pesky work tries to get in the way of some important fun? What a great day with some great finds. I enjoyed reading about it.
Ron
 
Re: War of 1812 Site - 41st & 6th Regiment buttons, Old shovel, Shell fragment

I really love the buttons Seeker. I've got a tin full of different gold fields buttons, but two I have, that I treasure are a police camp button and a mason's tunic button. Well done.
Angela :)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom