Was just asked permission to mine one of my mining claims.

et1955

Jan 10, 2015
Shoreline,wa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The answer is no, hands and pans only he said, I found 1 ounce gold and platinum nuggets on my claim, what would be your answer ? He has the option to join the New 49"s mining club for a small fee and mine there claims in the area. This is the North Fork of the Salmon river. I would like to educate those who ask for permission to mine on someone's claim consider what we did and pay to maintain our claims and the legal and financial responsibility we have to keep our claims.

Upvote 6

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I've seen gpaa members go on to my friends claim and just start high banking with us within sight of them. When the owner asked them what they were doing , they showed him a gpaa card and the claim owner told them their gpaa claim was 1 mile down stream and they were on his claim..... Their comment was ," Oh , I didn't know ! t my friend ,the claim owner told them, "you can work my claim but ONLY if I am there and NOT any other time ! Either the guy was full of it OR he was really dumb ! The gpaa claim is marked in their mining guide . I guess he don't read / understand so well ! I can just imagine how many other people show up on his claim without his permission !

N-Lionberger

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2013
Arcata, California
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-x
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Whites 4900/SP3
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've seen gpaa members go on to my friends claim and just start high banking with us within sight of them. When the owner asked them what they were doing , they showed him a gpaa card and the claim owner told them their gpaa claim was 1 mile down stream and they were on his claim..... Their comment was ," Oh , I didn't know ! t my friend ,the claim owner told them, "you can work my claim but ONLY if I am there and NOT any other time ! Either the guy was full of it OR he was really dumb ! The gpaa claim is marked in their mining guide . I guess he don't read / understand so well ! I can just imagine how many other people show up on his claim without his permission !
Yeah that’s an issue with neighboring a club claim, I’m looking at a spot that borders a GPAA claim this is a concern of mine.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally people ask and are willing to pay a percentage of the gold that they find. Usually between 10% - 20% of the gold found if it's on a good claim. Paying percentages for gold on claims that aren't being worked at the time is normal. Claim owners lease out their claims all of the time.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i belong to 2 clubs .most people in 1 club can tell you where to corners are.the other club doesnt have a clue. i find it very hard to find allot of corners as allot of the posts get knocked down or taking

firebird

Oct 17, 2018
Central Valley California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally people ask and are willing to pay a percentage of the gold that they find. Usually between 10% - 20% of the gold found if it's on a good claim. Paying percentages for gold on claims that aren't being worked at the time is normal. Claim owners lease out their claims all of the time.
How do you know for sure if they're truthful or not about the gold they find?

Ragnor

Dec 7, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The answer is no, hands and pans only he said, I found 1 ounce gold and platinum nuggets on my claim, what would be your answer ? He has the option to join the New 49"s mining club for a small fee and mine there claims in the area. This is the North Fork of the Salmon river. I would like to educate those who ask for permission to mine on someone's claim consider what we did and pay to maintain our claims and the legal and financial responsibility we have to keep our claims.
I made the mistake of telling an old highschool buddy "yeah, go ahead". Next time I went to my claim 50 yards of bedrock had been scaled off. Not sure what I expected but that seamed a tad bit excessive. Now I tell people they can come pan with me when I'm up there, but that's it.

sir_stillwater

Greenie
Jun 12, 2023
I suppose it depends how well I knew them, if I knew they were trustworthy and they offered a % of the take I'd be ok with it... but unvetted folks? I'd have to be on site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions