What's new

Was told to post here about my axe we found today! Looking for specifics

Swampage

Tenderfoot
Joined
Sep 17, 2013
Messages
8
Reaction score
8
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20130917_211056.webp


As we dug a grave for our pet cat today, we were about 4 feet in the ground and retrieved this artifact. From what I can conclude it's some type of stone axe or tomahawk from an Indian tribe of some sort. I do not think it is a recreation, nor do I know which era it's from. I am located in Southern New Jersey and would like to know more about this item. THANK YOU


They told me to post here about it, maybe someone around me is more familiar with these items. I am not familiar with it, but am VERY interested in hearing more about it. It's in beautiful condition and if you guys want more pictures of it, I can surely take them. But like I said, it was about 4 feet underground. I am in Southern New Jersey, and we have found numerous arrow heads before in these grounds.

THANK YOU ALL!
 
Upvote 0
That is a pretty old full grooved axe a very nice artifact there is a guy on here named hippy and he is the expert on those prob could take a few more pictures great find !!!!!!
 
Sorry about your loss..
But what a great thing you have in memory.
The grooved axe predates what is known as a celt.
Your artifact is several thousand years old and is most likely from the archaic time period.
As time went on the process of making the stone axe was quickened as populations grew and the need for tree felling grew.
Eventually the groove was left out all together in around the woodland time period ..and they wound up with something like this.
GREAT FIND..by the way.

ForumRunner_20130917_221824.webp



ForumRunner_20130917_222115.webp
 
Well spoken I just learned some more !!!!
 
Full Groove Hafted Axe. Made for a loooong time. Very nice hardstone find. Pretty much same form entire E. Coast from SC to NJ in my experience but sure they are found a whole lot of places N,S,E and W. PreHistoric. Looks like honest old damage on the end, could have been reworked, some are shorter than that one.
 
Wow I truly am shocked to hear it is that old!! Thank you for all your info!
 
Very nice and it does look period. Imagine the force it took to break that tip. That is a very nice find. If you have any of the arrow heads that can help date an area if you wish to learn more. Thanks for sharing.
 
Unfortunately I don't have any more of those arrow heads!!! But after seeing this and now knowing details about it, I will be doing some digging!!

Here are some more images for those interested:
20130918_005217.webp20130918_005153.webp20130918_005143.webp20130918_005133.webp

Thanks again!
 
nice find thanks for sharing.
 
Thats the way it goes most arent looking for it and find it. Im looking and not finding one,lol. Congrats on a nice find.
 
Your axe is awesome...
Sorry about your feline friend, that sucks.
I wish you further luck, and thanks for posting it.
 
Very nice find you got there

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet
 
I'm afraid I would have to place my lost cat some where other than there or be doing a lot of digging around my pet. That is a great find.:notworthy:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom