Wasn't sure it was a civil war fire pit until I found this

Tigerdude

Apr 2, 2016
South louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, I dug a hole the size of my truck hood. Keep finding bones, strap hinges , barrel straps., iron, iron and more iron. Was starting to doubt if this was something more recent until I found this. I will continue the dig. IMG_1158.JPG

Upvote 8
Yes, don't stop. I have dug a few, got some buttons out of them, but nothing spectacular. You never know.

Man, I dug a hole the size of my truck hood. Keep finding bones, strap hinges , barrel straps., iron, iron and more iron. Was starting to doubt if this was something more recent until I found this. I will continue the dig.View attachment 1437336

looks like a touch-hole tool, for the artillery corps, right?
Good find!

That would be called a friction primer. You know , you keep piling up a mound of dirt. I'm lucky to find to find it .

Good find!

Ah, yes, it does seem to be part of an artilleryman's hardware kit.
Go to this link and scroll down till you see it
in the first picture, top center, and then farther down page in zoomed-in detail - enjoy!
Some Artillery Implements

Looking forward to seeing what else turns up. On one hand, I wouldn't think they'd toss a friction primer into a fire, then on the other hand I can totally see some soldiers tossing friction primers into a fire. I know I would do it :laughing7:. Hope some great stuff turns up in that pit.

My brother found parts of a Georgia State seal buckle in a fire pit. He gave it to me because I lived in Georgia.

Nice relic

Well, at least now I know what it is. Never seen or heard of one. Up here in Yankee country ya' know. I'd keep digging. I suppose a sifter would be a nice option as well. Great relic mate.

Good find!

I believe you are looking at a canon friction primer. I found one in the avenues of SLC and tossed it before I knew what it was. OOPS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back