What's new

watched some silver go back into circulation today-doggone it!

markmopar

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Messages
967
Reaction score
88
Golden Thread
0
Location
southern NJ/southeast VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at one of my dump banks cashing in some halfs. at one point both my machine and the one next to it needed bag changes. when the teller opened the other macine I could see a whole pile of silver halfs in one bag.
Of course, I offered to buy the bag. no dice. "Once the coins enter the machine, they don't come out until they get to Brinks." they were real nice about it though.

ah, well. someone will find them..........


I did find 4 '64's and 7 40% in a $500 NF String box.
 
Upvote 0
That had to be a sad site to see. Do you get Brinks boxes? I know what your thinking......ha!
 
I have had absolutely zero success with Brinks boxes. Not a single silver coin yet.
 
It's more likely that the tellers are going to go through them.

While some managers just don't want to sell bags, there rarely ever is a bank policy against it.

For them, the paperwork is identical to selling a box of coins out of the vault.
 
Seeing silvers go away and not being allowed to purchase them would probably send me into my impression of a dog chewing hot pitch.....

Robin
 
that is odd they would not sell you the bag? I have bought bags from 4 different banks now.
 
gatzdon said:
It's more likely that the tellers are going to go through them.

While some managers just don't want to sell bags, there rarely ever is a bank policy against it.

For them, the paperwork is identical to selling a box of coins out of the vault.

Not at Commerce Bank. The bags are plastic with a sticky seal at the top. They get pulled out of the machine, sealed right there, and then placed in a bin. 20 bags to a bin. Then shipped off to Brinks.

At a local Susquehanna I asked about the bag from their machine in the back and the teller was going to sell it me but the manager said they did that once and had a problem, so they don't do it anymore. I might try other branches.
 
Thats a bummer thats like watching some gems get flushed down the toliet ....well hopefully you will ended up getting a box or 2 that is the mother of loads from some other bank that would sell their bags either and they end up in some of your Brink's rolls , Ed
 
markmopar said:
gatzdon said:
It's more likely that the tellers are going to go through them.

While some managers just don't want to sell bags, there rarely ever is a bank policy against it.

For them, the paperwork is identical to selling a box of coins out of the vault.

Not at Commerce Bank. The bags are plastic with a sticky seal at the top. They get pulled out of the machine, sealed right there, and then placed in a bin. 20 bags to a bin. Then shipped off to Brinks.

At a local Susquehanna I asked about the bag from their machine in the back and the teller was going to sell it me but the manager said they did that once and had a problem, so they don't do it anymore. I might try other branches.
the banks I bought from were in clear bags as you desribe and they have the sealed top. At Wells fargo they will pull a bag off and sell it to me no matter how full it is. Their machine tells them the amount in the bag and they charge me.

This is how I buy my pennies and nickels. Every bag from wells fargo has been a partial bag.
 
I got a couple dimes from the reject tray at Commerce, but I guess the machine doesn't do that with halfs. Must be calibrated differently.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom