Water Color Signature Help

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy All, I picked up this great watercolor at a thrift store today. Can I get any help with the signature? First two names look like Lawrence Hurd to me. Thanks Steve IMG_2013.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2018.JPG
    IMG_2018.JPG
    387.4 KB · Views: 131

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great painting! It almost looks like it could be "Lawrence Hurd", followed by "June 12," with the rest being illegible but could have been the year??? Not sure, but I do love the painting.

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lawrence Hurd June looks good but I'm not sure about the 12. Could Be. Big question is who is Lawrence Hurd? I can't find any watercolorist/ artist of that name. Thanks Steve

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
looks to me like June 12, 44. From the look of the type of ships that is the right nautical era. I agree the last name appears to be Hurd. What about this being the name of a place or ship? I inverted colors then unstretched the name horizontaly to fill in more pixels. Not sure it is "Lawrence" Doesn't look right. I think there is enough of a ghost of the numbers 44 in quotes at the end of the date to claim 1944. What does the back of the pictue look like, that would help put an era to it. Any navy types? what about the era of the ships in the picture? Doen't most ships after 1958 rake their stacks and what about the old style cargo tramp steamer in the background?

OP
OP
Indian Steve

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks MRBeyer, Lawrence looks so clear one minute and so wrong the next to me. I am 60 and never learned to write cursive. In the fourth grade my teacher told me my cursive was so bad that I should just print. I have all of my life. That is why signatures are so hard for me. Thanks Again, Steve

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a Gleaves class destroyer to me and possibly Mount Vesuvius in the background.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I type in Lawrence Hur, my auto suggest throws up a bunch of links for a "William Hurd Lawrence"
Perhaps he is the artists. The link I checked, looks to be similar works. Try searching the William Hurd Lawrence name, see whatcha get.

William Hurd Lawrence Biography, Works of Art, Auction Results | Invaluable

Whoa, with a little more clicking..... 1866 to 1938? That's old...... Won;t give me price though, I'm not a member.....

View recent auction price results for William Hurd Lawrence or subscribe for 15+ years of results | Invaluable

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like folk/recreational art to me, value is unlikely to be in the signature, the apparent WWII date and subject matter are the real selling points IMO.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey indian steve,i wouldnt worry about it,my kids tell me that they do not teach it in their school now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions