What's new

water hunt and beach finds fossils??????

xmarks73

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
302
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Location
S.E Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Ace 250, and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few fossil looking items that I have found water hunting and a couple that my son has found on the beach here in Michigan. Can anybody tell me anything about, any of them? Thanks in advance. :hello2:
 

Attachments

  • foslot.webp
    foslot.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 398
  • fo9.webp
    fo9.webp
    21.4 KB · Views: 386
  • fo8.webp
    fo8.webp
    15 KB · Views: 379
  • fo7.webp
    fo7.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 380
  • fo6.webp
    fo6.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 376
  • fo5.webp
    fo5.webp
    9.3 KB · Views: 379
  • fo4.webp
    fo4.webp
    18 KB · Views: 375
  • fo3.webp
    fo3.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 385
  • fo2.webp
    fo2.webp
    18.3 KB · Views: 378
  • fo1.webp
    fo1.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 391
  • foss.webp
    foss.webp
    13.4 KB · Views: 389
Of the five fossils in a circle:
12PM --- spiriferid brachiopod
2PM --- unknown
4PM --- unknown (perhap a chip of a solitary ["horn"] coral)
6PM --- unknown (perhaps a fragment of a colonial coral)
9PM --- spiriferid brachiopod
Outside the circle --- looks like a rock.
 
jadeblackhawk said:
The last two pictures are corals. I have all sorts of them . :) Can't tell you what kind, my fossil book is walkabout. Michigan used to be a sea. I can't remember how many hundred thousands of years ago. Good book: Geology of Michigan by John Dorr.

Side note: Michigan used to be the home of seven foot beavers. :o Yes, 7 feet. I have always found that to be a fascinating, yet scary fact. They used to display some giant beaver fossils in Lansing at the natural history museum. Don't know if they do anymore though.
:o Thats a big beaver! gonna have to search that out. pretty cool fact. ty for the id's :icon_thumleft:
 
Your fossils are Paleozoic certainly . . . not hundreds of thousands of years old, but hundreds of millions of years old. They were excavated in Canada and dragged down to the northern parts of the USA by glaciers.

In contrast, giant beavers, Castoroides ohioensis, is a Late Pleistocene species. These are dated in the thousands or tens of thousands of years.


castoroidescheekA.webpcastoroidescheekB.webp​
 
jadeblackhawk said:
I didn't mean the fossils were hundreds of thousand years old, I meant the last time Michigan was covered by an inland sea.
Sorry, 'jade', Michigan has not been covered by an inland sea since Paleozoic times -- again, hundreds of millions of years ago.
 
A huge thanks to both Harry and Jade. I do not know anything about fossils. I really enjoy finding them though! Thanks for the ID. :icon_thumleft:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom