What's new

Water proofing Pinpointer ?

Mangler

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2014
Messages
32
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Peshtigo, WI
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, BH Quick Draw 2, Vulcan 360, Modified Fiskars Big Grip Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, I'm new here so this might have been asked before. Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum sealer on their Pinpointer to water proof it?
 
Upvote 0
Have not tried that, be interesting to see if it works?
I bought the VIBRA PROBE for in-water stuff.
 
I was looking at buying one of those. The size to me suggest that it was mainly for water use. I only say that because of the 1" Dia. tip. I make small holes when I dig on land. I could be wrong due to being new to the hobby.
 
How did it do on land? Was tip a little bulky when used in the hole?
 
Not bulky, just I prefer the detection of the Garrett which detects from the side as well as the tip.
VP was also a little long in the belt holster with bending and kneeling etc.
 
Whites new pinpointer is waterproof...problem solved, for $160.00 It is the Bullseye TRX.
trx_button_side_2.jpg
 
Aside from using the pinpointer in the rain or just keeping it clean, at the beach or water you don't need a pinpointer as you have your scoop.
 
Isn't weatherproof and waterproof two different things? The Whites new pinpointer is weatherproof. That is what I have read in the description from Kellyco.
 
Last edited:
You are correct, White's description does say WEATHERPROOF. At a club meeting a White's distributor did say waterproof to I68 (if my memory is correct to 3 feet) I would go with weatherproof unless White's comes out with something different. Whites is out of stock some dealers have a few...
 
Garret Pinpointer Pro is water proof. It cost about $100
 
So has anyone heard of anyone using a vacuum sealer? Do you think it might work?
 
So has anyone heard of anyone using a vacuum sealer? Do you think it might work?
if you are talking about wading in freshwater, Sandman gave the best advice. Leave the pinpointer at home and get a decent scoop. I think they are all water resistant with tape over speaker enough to use in rain.
 
Hi, I'm new here so this might have been asked before. Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum sealer on their Pinpointer to water proof it?

I vacuumed sealed my Pro Pointer and it didn't work. The vacuum made the on off so it stayed on, then it wouldn't want to shut off. I waterproofed my Pro Pointer after that with GOOP and it's been good for the last two years. With the waterproof pointers out there now it isn't necessary to do this anymore.
 
Last edited:
Good to know about the sealer doing that. I do believe a good scoop would be a necessity.:icon_thumright:
 
Wrong!
Say Bye Bye if you drop it in Salt/Brackish water!
It will have to be sent back to the factory for repair/replacement.
Further, you have to be careful when using it, too much pressure on the wand and you
will break the internal coil.

The Garrett Pro Pin Pointer is a great pin point when properly used and cared for my favorite.
I use on when hunting on the beach, to find small objects which fall thru the scoop - mostly junk
which will drive you nuts till you figure out what it is. Sometimes, I have to use - when I am not able
to find the target in the hole. I mostly use it without the detector to remove shallow junk.

When I shallow water hunt with a floating sifter, I carry a waterproof vibratector 580 to find metal in
balls of clay which do not sift out. There is a problem with the vibratector floating out of its holster and
then sinking when wading chest to chin deep water.

Since the vibratector uses PI technology, it may interfere with your metal detector (EMI) and your detector may interfere with the Vibratector unless you point the coils away from each other. I have never had an interference problem with the Garrett Pro Pinpointer as it uses a different technology.



Garret Pinpointer Pro is water proof. It cost about $100
 
Last edited:
There's a Garrett video regarding the pro pointer falsing on salt beaches and how to get around that problem. Essentially just turn it on while in the saltwater and it eliminates the falsing. Never tried it but might be worth a shot.

Waterproofing can be accomplished, look at Aquachiggers videos.
 
002.webp


This was done over a year and a half ago and I have never had a problem.

Paper was put over the on/off button and speaker before GOOP was applied. I then applied the GOOP and spread over the area being sure to go beyond the paper a good 3/8" ( at least ). Also did the same to the speaker hole and just applied GOOP to where the light is, ( no paper ).

I went to Cash Home and bought a very thin O-Ring for the battery compartment. I also used a good quality electrical tape around the seam. I don't think it's really necessary but felt better doing it.

Made a few wraps with para cord and used GOOP to seal it for my lanyard.


I use a sifter when water hunting especially when hunting in mud and clay. May times when I dump my scoop, it's difficult to see the target and the pointer does the trick.
 
So the goop on the end help in the wear?
 
So the goop on the end helps in the wear? I'm at a loss. So many people want a pinpointer with a adjustable sound with a waterproof seal and no one can make one? The Garrett is to loud and the Vibra Probe is a night stick. Can't someone make something to best both worlds?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom